Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Using a Space Blanket

I am making a new underquilt from an old sleeping bag. I have no idea what the rating of the bag was but I would guess in the 40-50° range. I am considering rigging a space blanket to help extend the comfort range of my system.

My first question is exactly where do I place the space blanket. I have read the sticky vapor barrier thoughts thread, and but I missed the point of where is the most efficient place to put this.

Second, what is the best way to attach this? My SBSBUQ (SkeeterBeeterSleepingBagUnderQuilt) is being stitched in a spoon/bowl shape, rather than flat. It will have drawstrings on it.

Third, how much will this likely extend the comfort range of the UQ. I expect (hope) the SBSBUQ without the space blanket to be good to maybe 50° or so.

Last, what else can I do to extend the comfort range of the UQ? Would layering a small down blanket inside help, especially if it had the same "cut" as the SBSBUQ?

I will post more on this in the DIY section as I complete my project or run into snags which I need assistance overcoming.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Buffalo Skipper -

Oh I'll upset many with this one. The blanket should actually be in the sleeping bag with you to optimize the intended use but that would be annoying. Next best would be between the sleeping bag and body of the hammock but that would be challenging to get into position. Hennessy has started using a space blanket in their SS where the blanket is in between the foam pad and the body of the hammock. the step up for HH SS is under/bottom cover, foam pad, space blanket, body of hammock, sleeping bag and then you. There may or may not be condensation build up, it just depends on breeze, how heavy you breath, cloud cover, sleeping on your side, etc.
    So to answer your question, it should be between your UQ and body of hammock if you follow the HH approach.
    I've tried every which way and several different levels of space blankets. I've found in winter camping in temps below 15 degree with the HH SS putting the space blanket between my under cover and foam pad provided the most warmth. This wouldn't work for you for lack of under cover.
    To comment on your question about sewing the s.b. to the UQ, I don't think I would. I would try sewing velcro to your under quilt in a few spots. One the s.b. are pretty cheap and fraggle so they tear. Second, if you find it's too much heat you can reduce it a little by pulling it out. the SS doesn't use any type of attachments, simply lays in place due to the many layors so unless you have a lot of draft going through your UQ you might not need attachments.
    Another option is a pad in the hammock but I think that defeats the comfort of a hammock.

best of luck,

patrick

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

space blanket

I have sewn the thin mylar space blanket into a couple of items. The mylar, even sewn with very loose wide stitchs, and quilted between rip-stop or fleece quickly rips out after a couple of trips. Eventually, the blanket is in shreads. Also, the aluminum film rubs off easily, to leave simply the clear mylar.

Maybe a higher quality ($$$) space blanket is the answer. Or, this rip-stop aluminized material at this link.

http://ahh.biz/products/specialized_...on_Ripstop.htm
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I may have made that a bit wordy and confused my questions. Primarily I am looking at where to place the space blanket, which I guess should be between the UQ and the hammock bottom. Second, I really meant to say is should there be an attempt to dart the space blanket so it fits snugly into the UQ. I have no intention of stitching it permanently into the UQ, but only use it when I need to extend my comfort range by 5-10 degrees.

Sorry if I was unclear on those points.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    you can dart it if you like but if you move around at night and it's not anchored it may shift. i use the HH SS and haven't darted mine, i just fold it over for a better fit in the foot box. good luck

• + New Posts