Hammock
    DIY
    Images

single cord ridgeline and suspension prusiked to hammock?

Hi everyone,

First post here - i'm inexperienced with hammocks, ropes, knot tying and the like - but I did a bit of searching around and I dont see anyone doing it the way I am.

I'm working on a DIY hammock (with whipped ends) and the way I've set it up (for simplicity's sake) is to have a single line that attaches the hammock to the trees (via straps) and also serves as the ridgeline. I've attached this line to the end of the hammocks using a prusik knot. The hope is that when the hammock is not loaded, it should be quite easy to remove, and according to wikipedia it doesnt damage the rope (read: hammock) it's attached to.

This seems to work ok for me and is super simple... I'm wondering why I dont see more of this set up around here. Everyone else seems to be doing complex things with rings and carabiners - is it that much better? Or is there a fatal flaw in my setup that will leave me with a broken tailbone?

As I said, I dont have much experience with this - at the moment all I've done slept on the street (or just off it, near my apartment) with my hammock in different configurations the last few nights. No accidents yet but it's time to speak up on the forums and get some proper advice

Hello to you all!
    Cheesun

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hello Chees,
    Your setup should work fine. I used to go the same way. The biggest drawback I've found is that to keep from slipping, the ridge line needs to be twice the thickness of the prusik line. It ends up being heavy compared to other options.
    Polyester works well for the ridge line since it doesn't stretch much. I used to use parachute cord for the prusik but people have had it break so I switched to amsteel.
    If weight wasn't a concern I would still use this setup because it is easy to adjust.
    Have fun tuning in your setup and welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks DeeGore, for the info and the welcome

one thing though my prusik is directly on the hammock, using the ridgeline

the hammock itself (when bunched up) is way thicker than my cord (which is 5mm) so i guess that would hold too.

i guess one of the issues would be that i am limited in the ridgeline heights i can have relative to the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    G'day and welcome! If you set up work for you, that's great. I think people like to save bulk and weight plus they also like to tinker so whoopie slings fit the bill.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chees View Post
    This seems to work ok for me and is super simple... I'm wondering why I dont see more of this set up around here. Everyone else seems to be doing complex things with rings and carabiners - is it that much better? Or is there a fatal flaw in my setup that will leave me with a broken tailbone?
    I notice that too. People like to fiddle with things. My theory is this: give a group of people a ball, the next thing you know they will add bats, gloves, rules, and other stuff and make a game out of it. It just is what it is.

There isn't a flaw in your system. If I read what you wrote correctly it is the same thing the Hennessy Hammocks do. I've thought about going this way with my homemade myself, but also found I like having the tarp where I could set it up by itself without needing the hammock for setting up. On my Hennessy Tarps I ended up adding some strings for the ridge so I could use it as a stand alone - say like taking a break for lunch in the rain, or to get the tarp up first in camp when it is raining then setting up the hammock at my leisure. What I found in the latter situation is I don't always have my tarp in the right spot when I set it up, then I end up playing this game of loosing and tightening sides running back and forth to get it right.

Lately I have been toying with a very light ridge line that is a continuous line without all the extra hardware. Prussics attach the tarp to the line so I can slide the tarp down the line if I find moving it is necessary. I've got some even lighter stuff coming in the mail to try. IF it works, I will have a continuous 26' ridge-line with prussics down to about 8-10 grams.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    IF it works, I will have a continuous 26' ridge-line with prussics down to about 8-10 grams.

Please post some pictures when you get it working. I would like to see what you came up with. I just got (today) a new Diamond Fly from Mosquito Hammocks and I am trying to decide out to rig it. Like you I want to rig it seperate from the hammock for the same reasons.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    you are all correct, of course

i've started fiddling and the system has gradually grown and changed. suffice to say, i'm no longer prusiking the main line onto the hammock any more. the main issue for me was to get more headroom in the hammock, and adjustability.

i'll post pictures of my setup in a self-intro thread when i get around to it

thanks for all the info though

• + New Posts