Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

Thermarest Trail Small Pad???

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43007

After reading a few posts on here about different types and sizes of pads I picked this pad up from a local store. I have read several times that pads can shift and be uncomfortable at night. But to circumvent that many people went with a " 2/3 pad ". Well this was about as close to a 2/3 pad I could find and still be self inflating and not need me to cut down a ccf pad to fit my needs.

Will this work for a good sized pad in a HHUL Backpacker? And me being 5'8? This pad goes from top of shoulders to almost bottom of my calf. If there's something better for the price let me know! I can always return this one.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have the regular size (20 x 72) thermarest that I used tent camping and found it was too narrow and slippery in my dual layer blackbird. I found it too hard to keep it under me. The $5 blue Walmart pad actually worked better because it was wider and more grippy, but it was a little stiff. I have since purchased an underquilt but if I was going to go with a pad I'd spend a little more than $5 and get a softer foam one. I see plenty under $20.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    I discovered recently that the Thermorest Neoair partially inflated is great combination with a Blackbird. I have the smallest size one that they make.

Like most gear choices, there are pros and cons. In this case, the con is the durability if the Neoair. I haven't had a leak yet, but thats because I treat it like it's the most delicate thing I carry. When I was using a tent, it never ever was taken out of it's cordura stuffsack unless I was IN my tent. With the hammock, it was never allowed to touch anything but the fabric of the hammock.

I've only used it to add insulation to my underquilt on the very coldest wettest crappiest nights.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Did you use the Neoair inside the Hammock? Between Hammock layers? Or between the Hammock and the UQ?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I have that size TR and it works very well. I find I like a shorter pad (when using one). The longer pads seem to be a bear to get straight under me again after slipping around during the night. Not any more of course since I now have an UQ.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I discovered recently that the Thermorest Neoair partially inflated is great combination with a Blackbird. I have the smallest size one that they make.

Like most gear choices, there are pros and cons. In this case, the con is the durability if the Neoair. I haven't had a leak yet, but thats because I treat it like it's the most delicate thing I carry. When I was using a tent, it never ever was taken out of it's cordura stuffsack unless I was IN my tent. With the hammock, it was never allowed to touch anything but the fabric of the hammock.

I've only used it to add insulation to my underquilt on the very coldest wettest crappiest nights.
    guySmiley, when I read your posts, in my head it sounds like your muppet avatar. I greatly appreciate what you say, but I just can't help but laugh in my head the whole time. It is kind of like in Disney's "Meet the Robinsons" when Wilbur says: "Dude, I can't take you seriously in that hat."
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I have that size TR and it works very well. I find I like a shorter pad (when using one). The longer pads seem to be a bear to get straight under me again after slipping around during the night. Not any more of course since I now have an UQ.
    I tried it several ways and found the best results to be in between the layers. When I was laying directly on it in the hammock, things got pretty clammy in there due to the condensation. When I put it between the layers, that fixed the issue.
    Last edited by guySmiley; 10-06-2010 at 17:33.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    guySmiley, when I read your posts, in my head it sounds like your muppet avatar. I greatly appreciate what you say, but I just can't help but laugh in my head the whole time. It is kind of like in Disney's "Meet the Robinsons" when Wilbur says: "Dude, I can't take you seriously in that hat."
    hi-ho! Guy Smiley here to talk to you good folks about hammocks and groundpads!

Awesome!! Just what I'm going for!

Honestly, I think that people tend to take themselves far too seriously, especially when it comes to all this gear talk.

• + New Posts