Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Questions of comfort and hammock habits

I had my first overnight hang Saturday, and I will be back in it again this weekend coming up. I slept OK--certainly no worse than on the ground. However, I did have a few small issues about which I wanted to inquire.

My legs/feet (actually ankles) just did not seem to have a natural place. I ended up having to cross my right foot over my left (I was laying with my feet to the left of center). I have heard talk of some putting a pillow or clothes between one's legs. Is this what is meant by this?

I imagine I will be changing many of my habits as I move up off the ground. Like where to hang my shoes, what to do with my flashlight and glasses, etc. I don't yet have a BB, so no shelf for me (maybe one day...). Any general suggestions you can make about this?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I had calf issues until I got the WB Black Bird. The footbox really made a difference for me.

You can try putting something between or under your legs.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    My legs/feet (actually ankles) just did not seem to have a natural place. I ended up having to cross my right foot over my left (I was laying with my feet to the left of center).
    How far to the left? I tend to be quite a bit diagnal. maybe try shifting even more. I also pull one leg up some and shift partially to the side too.

I imagine I will be changing many of my habits as I move up off the ground. Like where to hang my shoes, what to do with my flashlight and glasses, etc. I don't yet have a BB, so no shelf for me (maybe one day...). Any general suggestions you can make about this?
    You could put a ridge line on it (either structural or non-structural) I then hang my stuff from there. Have also made an organizer that hangs there. You can buy these through http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id62.html
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Make or buy a ridgeline bag .... or organizer. I put headlamp on ridgeline. Boots on ground by the hammock. Glasses on ridge bag.
    As to the feet .... try a Thermarest sit pad in your footbox partially deflated. It helps separate the feet.
    Good luck and be patient.....
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 10-04-2010 at 11:35.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Insulation
    warm stuff
    My legs/feet (actually ankles) just did not seem to have a natural place. I ended up having to cross my right foot over my left (I was laying with my feet to the left of center). I have heard talk of some putting a pillow or clothes between one's legs. Is this what is meant by this?
    If you put a pillow or pile of clothing between your knees/legs it helps to relieve pressure points. I have a tendency to sleep on my side or stomach so it is very helpful....I can imagine it would be helpful for back sleepers too.

I don't hang my shoes....I usually just leave them under my hammock, but I do look for creepy crawlies before i stick my foot in. as far as flashlight and glasses I have a little mesh organizer bag on my ridgeline and that works really well....I think 2Q and ZQ have a ridgeline organizer they sell. It would be a great investment.
    here it is $13 plus shipping is well worth it
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id62.html
    good luck and I am sure there are others on the forum with more info that can help too.

I guess i type to slow.....lol
    Last edited by Adia; 10-04-2010 at 09:22. Reason: i'm slow
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    You can try putting something between or under your legs.
    My legs really were not the problem. I was uncomfortable at my ankles, and exactly where one laid on top of the other. But that might help if I had something down lower

Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    How far to the left? I tend to be quite a bit diagnal. maybe try shifting even more. I also pull one leg up some and shift partially to the side too.
    I was about as much to the side as I could go. It wasn't painful or difficult, just a little uncomfortable. I feel there is room for improvement in this area. The SB is pretty long (5" longer than the BB, but it is a whole foot narrower). I can certainly understand how the FootBox would work and make things a whole lot more comfortable.

I have an adjustible SRL, which I am considering shortening by 2" to see if that would make a difference. Is 2" enough or should I start with more. By the design of the Skeeter Beeter, the SRL is outside the bug net. I have already considered running it inside the net, which would give me a place to hang things. The SB has 2 small pockets sewn into the bugneting on either side, but the pockets are smaller than a deck of cards, and my glasses kept falling out. I have also considered stitching a little loop of elastic above the top of one pocket to hold in the glasses.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    I had my first overnight hang Saturday, and I will be back in it again this weekend coming up. I slept OK--certainly no worse than on the ground.
    Understood. I had a miserable 1st night, however by the 3ed night I was more comfortable and slept better than in my bed at home.
    Point being- give it a few nights.

[/QUOTE] I have heard talk of some putting a pillow or clothes between one's legs. Is this what is meant by this?[/QUOTE]

I use my bagged rain-gear placed between my knees to cushion pressure points. Any type of padding, clothing, sit-pad, etc. will do.
    That should work for your ankles as well, you may need a cushion for each pressure point.

[/QUOTE]Like where to hang my shoes, what to do with my flashlight and glasses, etc. [/QUOTE]

I use the tarp ridge-line to hang stuff. After having a bunch of slugs crawl into my shoes, I now hang them as well. I also use pockets hung on the hammock or tarp ridge-lines

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I have an adjustible SRL, which I am considering shortening by 2" to see if that would make a difference. Is 2" enough or should I start with more.
    I would start at alot more than 2", then work out from there. I was surprised at how much sag ended up being comfortable.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Can't bring myself to leave my shoes/boots under the hammock ... not since back in the 70's when I caught opossum dragging my boots out from under my tent's vestibule ... chewing on the salty deposits I guess ...

Glad he woke me ... hiking barefoot out of woods is not my idea of fun in the cold early spring!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Listen to Shug.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast