Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I got my tarp, frogsack, and peapod yesterday. Unfortunately I felt guilty buying $250 worth of gear I absolutely, positively needed so I volenteer to work overtime this weekend. However I did get to take my new gear into work and play with it on my work hammock. Everyone needs a work hammock don't they? Peapod is nice I have to work on how it will fasten on the hammock. The velcro isn't enough. I have wanted a frogsack since 2004 traildays. The frogsack stuff sack is too small IMO. It will be great in the Spring. I'm reading Ed's book now. Now when I go to the campout in Hot Springs I'll at least have some of his gear with me.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    dutch, i sewed a grosgrain loop on each of the four corners of my older model pea pod.
    then added a small loop of shock cord.
    i use those to attach the pea pod to the hammock & it leaves the draw string free to tighten up for warmth, or loosen to vent.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did your peapod not come with drawstrings at the ends? Mine has a drawstring so I just tie a shoestring knot around the hammock and it stays in place.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It did come with a draw cord and I will look at how I will attach it to the suspension. It doesn't seem like a difficult problem to overcome. I will try the shoestring knot. I got out the tarp to tie on the guidelines last night. Again the stuff sack is too small, just like the frogsac. I have plenty of stuff sacks anyhow. I was also surprised to see the tarp's sewn seam is perpendicular to the ridge line. Pretty good price for a .8 pounds for 10x8 for $99. All the money I saved I can buy a bunch of stuff sacks.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Did your peapod not come with drawstrings at the ends? Mine has a drawstring so I just tie a shoestring knot around the hammock and it stays in place.
    yeah, that's the way it was intended to be used, but why do things the intended way <G>.
    the reason i added the loops was so i could leave the draw strings loose if needed to "open the windows" in warmer weather.

Any comments pro/con on the Frogsack vs. NS?

Also, how would you go about wearing the PeaPod as a robe as mentioned in the literature/website?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleb View Post
    Any comments pro/con on the Frogsack vs. NS?

Also, how would you go about wearing the PeaPod as a robe as mentioned in the literature/website?
    i had forgotten that you could wear the pea pod & haven't tried that.
    but personally, i've always liked the idea of wearing the top blanket as extra insulation rather than the under quilt. just seems like a lot less trouble since the under quilt or pea pod has to be attached & adjusted.

sorry to ed , but i have to say that i would favor the NS over the frog sac.
    because of the simplicity of the SN, i believe you would get a better warmth to weight ratio & more user friendly.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've seen the Frog Sac but never actually used one...the NS goes with me on every trip and I frequently wear it. Here are my thoughts:

Frog Sac doesn't have arm holes (at least the older models didn't...maybe the new ones do), but the NS is like a poncho so your arms can stay out while your torso is covered. But the Frog Sac can be vented by not zipping it up all the way...the NS has only a head hole.

You can wear a jacket over the NS for total warmth and to protect the NS - no arm holes makes this difficult w/ the Frog Sac.

The Frog Sac covers the legs but the NS does not.

The NS is thicker...not better or worse, depending on the conditions you want to use it in.

NS is down and Frog Sac is synthetic - standard pros/cons apply.

Personally, I think the Frog Sac would be too cumbersome to wear around camp for anything more than a pee break or sitting around talking. Same with the PeaPod - I never wear that when I take it, either. I wear the NS under my rainjacket for all kinds of camp chores.

Hope this helps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks JJ and Slowhike,

Some of what you mention was what I was thinking, guess I'm leaning to the NS. Will just be using one of my regular sleeping bags for now, but eventually hope to get a quilt.

I still don't really see how you would wear the PeaPod as a robe, other than just wrapping it around you and holding it. Guess you could cinch up one of the drawstrings around your shoulders/neck, then fold the bottom draw string up to your waist to shorten it to a manageable length, but that would leave your arms trapped inside - not too convenient. I guess the idea is that you CAN sit up in it and use it for warmth without having to be in the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you could wrap the pea pod around you & velcro it together in front, using the draw string at one end to make that opening the head hole.
    then you have to pull up the excess & secure it w/ a belt to keep it off the ground.
    but your arms would be inside unless you open a section of the velcro in front to reach out.
    may not be as convenient as some of the others but a good trick to know if you got caught off guard & needed the extra insulation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast