WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Footprint as a Rainfly

I am currently using a Kelty Noah 9x9, but am making a DIY SWT. However, I came across one of these http://www.rei.com/product/777756 while sorting through some family camping gear and was wondering if anyone had tried to use something similar as a rainfly. It weighs half of what my Kelty does, and the green color is more attractive (to me) as well. thoughts?
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    EDIT: just noticed from re-reading your post that you probably already own this footprint. If that's the case this won't be much help but I'll leave it up anyway in case someone else finds it helpful

I looked at tent footprints from REI's clearance to use as a rainfly also. Unfortunately, I didn't end up trying it, so I can't tell you if it'd work. However, I thought I'd pass along some other options I considered:

1) Claytor Small Rainfly (10' x 7.5') - $50 (170z)

2) Hennessey Hex Tarp (144" x 115") - $59.95 (28oz) heavy, but also very large for a lot of coverage.

3) CampMor 8x10 Ultralight Backpacking Tarp - $79.99 (13oz)

4) CampMor 8x10 Coated Nylon Tarp - $39.99 (22.5oz)

I looked pretty closely at all four of those as options while looking for a cheaper tarp that'd still be light enough to backpack reasonably. The footprints were attractive for the price but I figured for around the same cost I could pick up one of the above tarps and not have to worry about whether it'd be adequately waterproof etc.

FWIW, I ended up just spending the extra money on a good lightweight tarp (used WB Edge in Spinn). But, I plan on more backpacking than car camping so weight was a big consideration for me. Anyway, figured you or someone else might benefit from my seemingly endless tarp research

I used a sierra designs small footprint as a tarp. It was barely long enough to cover the length of the hammock and I could easily see under the wings when in the hammock. The footprint is kinda like a diamond shape with the long axis pulled thinner.

It did rain that night, pretty hard. I did get a couple drops down on my feet, but that was all. I was offered a place in a tent with a couple of girls in the group if it got too bad. I stayed in the hammock, not sure what I was thinking.

good luck and have a good'un

cutter

btw i used the footprint because the 7x9 tarp I had became the dining tent/shelter from the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I was offered a place in a tent with a couple of girls in the group if it got too bad. I stayed in the hammock, not sure what I was thinking.
    What were you thinking ???
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

The footprint is shaped for the tent and vestibules. Our boots and bags that stay outin the vestibule sit on the footprint, not in the dirt. according to you which is better??

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    Was thinking about using a footprint as a rainfly also. Came across this ALPS footprint at rei. I now its 2x as heavy as a normally rainfly but it's only $22 with their sale. What do yall think?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    Was thinking about using a footprint as a rainfly also. Came across this ALPS footprint at rei. I now its 2x as heavy as a normally rainfly but it's only $22 with their sale. What do yall think?
    I don't think the ALPS footprint has so much as a grommet on them. If your going that route, why not just use a painter's drop cloth from the hardware store for a few bucks? It's lighter and cheaper.

• + New Posts