Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Question BIG AGNUS PAD? even when not necessary

HOW MANY OF YOU STILL USE A BA INSULATED CORE or other pad SIMPLY FOR COMFORT? Or would you rather sleep just on the hammock surface?
    Since beginning to use a hammock my pack has gotten a little heavier...trying to leave things out.
    (I am going to post a few simple questions to get these things straight in my head.
    Thanks, Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    I'm actually more comfortable with just a blue walmart pad. I use the my BA insulated air core only when needed for insulation. I'm even more comfortable without any pad but that will have to wait until the warm weather returns

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    HOW MANY OF YOU STILL USE A BA INSULATED CORE or other pad SIMPLY FOR COMFORT? Or would you rather sleep just on the hammock surface?
    Since beginning to use a hammock my pack has gotten a little heavier...trying to leave things out.
    (I am going to post a few simple questions to get these things straight in my head.
    Thanks, Mule
    I slept on my BA Insulated air mattress twice before buying an underquilt. I found it more comfortable to sleep right on top of the hammock material, only because I kept slipping off of the air mattress and was constantly readjusting it.

I find the BA air pad slightly more comfortable than lying directly on the hammock because it spreads out the hammock and supports my head without a pillow. However, I always use it in conjunction with the BA bag which has the sleeve that holds it in place. Otherwise you would have a lot of slippage under your body. If you are using a bottom entry hammock, then using a pad is troublesome.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    I find the BA air pad slightly more comfortable than lying directly on the hammock because it spreads out the hammock and supports my head without a pillow. However, I always use it in conjunction with the BA bag which has the sleeve that holds it in place. Otherwise you would have a lot of slippage under your body. If you are using a bottom entry hammock, then using a pad is troublesome.
    Yes, I have a BA Bag as well, and I found it pretty hard to manage the first (only) time I slept in my HH. The spreading of the hammock is a big plus. How firm to you inflate your air pad?
    Thanks,
    Mule

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight w/ring buckles
    Tarp
    MLD cuben fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack, JRB quilts
    I have a BA bag. My personal preference is to not use the pad. I have a JRB underquilt for colder weather.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i find a BA insulated air mat more comfortable. it's softer & more supportive for the lower back, etc.
    in colder weather (40s & below) i use a down air mat (DAM) like the exped or the warmlight.
    i use any of these mats only partly inflated.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i find a BA insulated air mat more comfortable. it's softer & more supportive for the lower back, etc.
    in colder weather (40s & below) i use a down air mat (DAM) like the exped or the warmlight.
    i use any of these mats only partly inflated.
    Thank you. Since it will be 40 and below I will bring my Super Shelter stuff. I intend to put the Super Shelter undercover, foam mat and maybe torso and kidney pads, then install my new Nest. (should be here tomorrow). Do you see any issues with condensation between the hammock and the undercover, which I don't think is breathable? You have helped me so much, I sure wish you were coming. Mule

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Thank you. Since it will be 40 and below I will bring my Super Shelter stuff. I intend to put the Super Shelter undercover, foam mat and maybe torso and kidney pads, then install my new Nest. (should be here tomorrow). Do you see any issues with condensation between the hammock and the undercover, which I don't think is breathable? You have helped me so much, I sure wish you were coming. Mule
    it sounds like you plan to put the nest on the outside. that's the way you would want to do it.
    according to others, because the super shelter is not breathable you do not want to put any kind of insulation that can absorb moisture between it & the hammock. if you did the super shelter would trap moisture put off by your body & it would collect in the insulation.
    others that are more familiar w/ the super shelter can probably give you better advice on that.

i wish i could come too but work keeps getting in the way<g>. yall have fun. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I keep my BA air mat fully inflated. Its most comfortable that way. I have the full size rectangular. I am not sure the mummy size would work as well.

I think that for bottom entry hammocks the under quilt preferred.

I like the pads because they are more versatile. If you cant use your hammock due to lack of trees or if you decide to use a shelter instead (while hiking) then you can sleep on the ground or floor with the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast