Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images

Differential UQ Dimensions

After recently completing my tarp, I am turning my attention to an UQ project. I have three yards of 60" wide material and 12 oz. of down. I asked previously and everyone suggested to go ahead and use all of the down and that is what I am planning. This will be a winter/cooler weather UQ.

I want to make the UQ 45" x 52". The question is regarding the amount of fabric needed for the differential (larger) piece of fabric.

My fabric is actually at least 109" long. I have planned for 3 inches of seam allowance to create channels on the sides. This means my nominally sized piece of fabric will be 45" plus 6" for seams to make 51". This leaves me with 58" to create the differentially cut piece. After the seam allowance, I have about 52" for the width of this piece. The baffles will probably be 3 or 3.5 inches depending on my final dimensions.

Would the 7 inches be about right for making this differential UQ? I am sure I could come up with a few more inches if I use a little less on the seams. I am being generous for the amount of material to use in the seam.

Also, I would like to thank all of the people on this forum, including the cottage guys, for being so forthcoming with information for the DIY crowd. If I didn't already have all of the needed materials, I would likely just purchase a quilt from one of these cottage industries.

Thanks,

Shevy77
    Last edited by shevy77; 05-04-2010 at 12:20. Reason: Adding info.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    As a rule of thumb I use 1 inch more on the outer layer for every baffle. So for every 6 inches ont eh inside I use 7 inches so that is add 1 inch for every baffle. Then the end baffles need sides that are equal to the baffle height. So taht right there would use 6 inches for a quilt that is 3" high. I'm afraid you need more material. 2 tone quilts are nice though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    Dutch,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I think that you are right.

I could make the quilt a little smaller, but that is not the route I want to take.

So, I have 3 yards of black momentum.

Now, to decide what color I want to go with for my quilt. My tarp is black and my hammock is olive. Momentum comes in 'Grey Green' and 'Coyote' and several other bright colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0/DIY 1.1 camo
    Tarp
    GG 12x12 modded
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    i made my underquilt with black ripstop from thruhiker for the inner shell and gray green momentum, i posted a thread on it, just so you could get a better idea of what color it is, you cant really get a good idea of it from the little picture.
    in some of the pictures it looks lighter than it actually is, the light picks it up an makes it look like a light gray. but im really happy with it, im sure whatever color you choose, you will be happy with
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Looks great Dalton. Is that pleats that run all the way down the center of each baffle. That really looks warm.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shevy77 View Post
    Dutch,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I think that you are right.

I could make the quilt a little smaller, but that is not the route I want to take.

So, I have 3 yards of black momentum.

Now, to decide what color I want to go with for my quilt. My tarp is black and my hammock is olive. Momentum comes in 'Grey Green' and 'Coyote' and several other bright colors.
    I have used both those colors and I will tell you that they grey has nothing to do with green. I still like the grey but I don't know why they say green. The brown is a nice brown. I'm a big fan of momentum because I like the feel.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0/DIY 1.1 camo
    Tarp
    GG 12x12 modded
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Looks great Dalton. Is that pleats that run all the way down the center of each baffle. That really looks warm.
    thanks alot Dutch,
    yes, the pleats run between each baffle, starting at taking in 2 inches from the out side to zero. i havnt gotten to use it an any temps below 45, but it sure is warm

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Purpose of the pleats?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    thanks alot Dutch,
    yes, the pleats run between each baffle, starting at taking in 2 inches from the out side to zero. i havnt gotten to use it an any temps below 45, but it sure is warm
    Would you please explain the pleats? If you are reducing the fabric on the outer shell, aren't you defeating the purpose of the differential cut?

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel (who is about a year overdue on sewing his third quilt)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have used both those colors and I will tell you that they grey has nothing to do with green. I still like the grey but I don't know why they say green. The brown is a nice brown. I'm a big fan of momentum because I like the feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    i made my underquilt with black ripstop from thruhiker for the inner shell and gray green momentum, i posted a thread on it, just so you could get a better idea of what color it is, you cant really get a good idea of it from the little picture.
    in some of the pictures it looks lighter than it actually is, the light picks it up an makes it look like a light gray. but im really happy with it, im sure whatever color you choose, you will be happy with
    Yea, if the color that Dalton is using is the grey green, it doesn't appear to have any green tint.

Dalton,

Have you been happy with your pleats and the tapered shape? I was thinking of doing pleats on the right shoulder half of my quilt at the head end and on the left leg half at the foot end to create an asym. shape for my WBBB. I have not yet decided to go this route. I may make it rectangular or do something like you did to taper the ends.

Shevy77

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Would you please explain the pleats? If you are reducing the fabric on the outer shell, aren't you defeating the purpose of the differential cut?

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel (who is about a year overdue on sewing his third quilt)
    Im not sure what you mean by defeating the purpose.

The pleating is done to mimic the gathering of a gathered end hammock. By taking the material from the middle of the quilt you are creating that taper that a gathered end hammock has...if that makes any sense. So, the UQ is basically a min hammock with another, slightly larger (longer and wider) mini hammock sewn to it. In between the two mini hammocks......is uncompressed goose down goodness.

That is probably the worst description in history but that was the best I could come up with right now...
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast