Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Bedroom bridge

I want to make a bridge hammock to hang up permanently in my room. I am wondering a few things. What material does everyone like if it is no meant for lightweight backpacking. the webbing/rope for the long suspension lines what kind is being used. The length. I am 5'7" is there and recommended length for my height. I imagine this will not be my last bridge if I like the lay so if I mess up no biggie. The apex of the cat cut I noticed it is biased towards the shoulders. about where on the body should it end up so i can get a proper measurement.

I think that is all my questions for now.

A for reading what has been written I clam information overload, since I have read just about every thread concerning a bridge.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samiam2714 View Post
    I want to make a bridge hammock to hang up permanently in my room. I am wondering a few things. What material does everyone like if it is no meant for lightweight backpacking. the webbing/rope for the long suspension lines what kind is being used. The length. I am 5'7" is there and recommended length for my height. I imagine this will not be my last bridge if I like the lay so if I mess up no biggie. The apex of the cat cut I noticed it is biased towards the shoulders. about where on the body should it end up so i can get a proper measurement.

I think that is all my questions for now.

A for reading what has been written I clam information overload, since I have read just about every thread concerning a bridge.
    Contact Cannibal for the "I read the whole Bridge hammock thread" bumper sticker. Of course, these being Very Popular Items, he's found it necessary to give an exam on it, just to be sure you're entitled it.

So, seriously...I like the feel of 1.9 oz rip stop in a hammock, and it is low stretch. That's important, I made a bridge hammock for shug using parachute nylon (I transformed a cheap parachute hammock into a bridge) and I think it stretches a lot. For the side suspension I like to use 1/2" tubular polyester webbing from Sailrite, for cord beyond the hammock (e.g. suspension triangle and beyond) I've used Spyderline, Amsteel, Vectrus, Dynaglide. They are all strong enough, cost and color would be the main
    issues for me with an indoors hammock. If I was making an indoor bridge I would build a frame hammock stand, it would have the footprint of a single bed, and the hammock would be suspended at its corners, from the corners. No suspension triangle, no suspension cord to tree.

I typically add 6" to anticipated body height to determine the length of the hammock.

I did a lot of experimenting with shape of suspension curve etc and decided that my skin is too thick to notice much difference as to the precise shape of the curve and the location of the lowest point. So I make mine symmetric now, simplifies things.

good luck with the bridge project
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Contact Cannibal for the "I read the whole Bridge hammock thread" bumper sticker.
    I finally went to the hypnotist to have that section of memories repressed. I kept forgetting things like my address until I got rid of it.
    That thread makes my head hurt just thinking about it!

I'm glad Grizz saw this thread before I did! I know very little about bridge hammocks (see above ) and would have quickly said use cotton for your material. It's warm, soft, easy to wash, and everything else nice. Except for that little thing mentioned about stretch. Cotton loves to stretch. I spent some time sleeping in nylon and polyester hammocks at home, but I was living below the frost line in Florida at the time. They translate cold very well indoors. For indoor hanging, I like something that will provide even the slightest insulation and cotton fits the bill nicely. But for a bridge? I'd go with Encyclopedia Grizz's suggestions.

LOVE the fact that I'm seeing more and more indoor hammock threads on this site. Love it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    OK this is great Info and I think i just had a brain wave for a bridge bunk bed type thing. For above my queen mattress. Rather than in my usual spot in front of my closet. Now I know the length and I got the depth of the cat cut all set now I just need the rest of the materials and perhaps finishing my TQ first would be a good thing.
    Last edited by samiam2714; 10-07-2010 at 15:32.
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

• + New Posts