Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Tree Straps

  1. #31
    Senior Member USMCStang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    50* Phoenix 40* SB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    496
    Images
    25
    I used strapworks, and made my own digital camo straps. Just sewed some loops on the end and called it a day.
    Mike
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945


  2. #32
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I used strapworks, and made my own digital camo straps. Just sewed some loops on the end and called it a day.
    Did you just roll up some fabric and sew it? What was the starting width of the fabric and the finished width? I've been considering doing this but have some concerns about abrasion resistance and how well it would handle a marlin spike hitch. How much do they weigh?

    I'll stop asking questions if you would kindly describe for us what you've done...

    Edit: Never mind... I thought you meant you started with digital camo ripstop. Now I see strapworks sells digital camo polyester webbing. Anyone out there ever sew your own tree straps from fabric?
    Last edited by bootleg; 03-01-2012 at 08:27. Reason: see above

  3. #33
    Senior Member USMCStang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    50* Phoenix 40* SB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    496
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Did you just roll up some fabric and sew it? What was the starting width of the fabric and the finished width? I've been considering doing this but have some concerns about abrasion resistance and how well it would handle a marlin spike hitch. How much do they weigh?

    I'll stop asking questions if you would kindly describe for us what you've done...

    Edit: Never mind... I thought you meant you started with digital camo ripstop. Now I see strapworks sells digital camo polyester webbing. Anyone out there ever sew your own tree straps from fabric?
    I've never seen or heard of a "fabric" tree strap, but I suppose with a strong enough material, It could work, but that material would be way too expensive IMHO. Your garden variety ripstop isn't strong enough to function as a tree strap.

    You can get the webbing material from Harbor Freight if you pirate it from their ratchet straps...less than $5.
    Mike
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945


  4. #34
    Senior Member Slo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,140
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I've never seen or heard of a "fabric" tree strap, but I suppose with a strong enough material, It could work, but that material would be way too expensive IMHO. Your garden variety ripstop isn't strong enough to function as a tree strap.

    You can get the webbing material from Harbor Freight if you pirate it from their ratchet straps...less than $5.

    +1 sew a hole big enough to feed the strap into on both ends of each strap and you're rockin' and rollin'.
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

    - George Strait

  5. #35
    Senior Member SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Posts
    2,037
    Images
    92
    Actually I only put a hole big enough to run the strap through on one end. If you are using a marlin spike hitch you don't need two holes. If you are using a Dutch style set up a very small hole big enough to run your cord through is all you need.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

  6. #36
    Senior Member Slo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,140
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Actually I only put a hole big enough to run the strap through on one end. If you are using a marlin spike hitch you don't need two holes. If you are using a Dutch style set up a very small hole big enough to run your cord through is all you need.
    I actually think my first set came like that, that I'd bought from a vendor. But the advantage that really came in handy for a me a few times was when I needed longer straps than I had, I just thread them through eachother, no knots and completely secure. You could make it work tying them together if you had to, but this was simple and easy and the most secure for me.

    Sorry should've mentioned that's why I carry a couple extra straps, as well. Really no function if you don't.
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

    - George Strait

  7. #37
    Senior Member SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Posts
    2,037
    Images
    92
    I carry a 6' piece of dynaglide for that - eyes on both ends.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

  8. #38
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I've never seen or heard of a "fabric" tree strap, but I suppose with a strong enough material, It could work, but that material would be way too expensive IMHO. Your garden variety ripstop isn't strong enough to function as a tree strap.

    You can get the webbing material from Harbor Freight if you pirate it from their ratchet straps...less than $5.
    I have plenty of polyester webbing, I'm just always interested in any innovations people are trying that improve performance or save weight. Military grade 1.1 oz uncoated ripstop nylon has a typical tensile strength of 42 lbs. if I took an 18 inch wide, 6 foot length, rolled it into a 1" width and sewed it would I get 750 lb breaking strength? But even if I did it would probably have abrasion issues, stretch more than polyester, and have questionable knot performance, plus it would weigh 1.1 oz providing little weight savings over ratchet straps. Probably not worth the effort. Cuben would provide weight savings, but still have abrasion and performance issues. Plus it would be expensive for a piece of gear that might get all covered with tree sap and need replacing.

    My lightest acceptable option so far is 1/2" muletape, with 6' weighing in around 0.8 oz. But I'm always on the lookout for anyone who's found a better option.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,818
    Images
    7
    Bootleg or anyone: Do you have an on-line source for 1/2 inch mule tape? Thanks!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,387
    Images
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Bootleg or anyone: Do you have an on-line source for 1/2 inch mule tape? Thanks!
    Not sure what size it is, thought it was a little wider than 1/2", but my on-line source is JohnSawyer. He usually has some, or can get his hands on it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


Similar Threads

  1. WITHDRAWN: 7' Whoopies, 6' Tree Straps, & 2 BD Neutrino Carabiners for Atlas or Python Straps
    By Eric Labanauskas in forum [TRADED] Items no longer available
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 18:12
  2. Tree strap extensions vs. long tree straps.
    By Gqgeek81 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 12:45
  3. Rant on: second time forgetting tree straps on tree :/
    By jay_nj in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 13:05
  4. Anybody using 10mm Dynex straps (runners) for tree straps ??
    By tammons in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 13:31
  5. Made some tree straps, but now considering recyling WBBB straps
    By USMCStang in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 13:19

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •