Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Folks here have told me that all gathered end hammocks have, to some extent, the crease down the middle that cuts across your calf when you are on the diagonal. That is my only comfort complaint with my HH.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images

There aint really much dif

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Folks here have told me that all gathered end hammocks have, to some extent, the crease down the middle that cuts across your calf when you are on the diagonal. That is my only comfort complaint with my HH.
    It does not seem to me that this drawback, which seems to bother some of us more than others, is particularly worse in my HHULEXP than in any of my other gathered end hammocks. In fact, I'm pretty sure the HH is not even the worst of the bunch. Particularly if I don't close the Velcro bottom tightly, this seems to allow me to at least temporarily solve the problem better than with most. I can sort of push the hammock bottom out with my right foot, and this trick seems to smooth out the part of the hammock that is pressing into my left calf, reducing the problem to almost nothing. This works to some extent with all of them, but is only temporary until I move, so not really much help.

So HH or any other gathered end I've tried so far, whether better or worse in this regard, no matter........ IMO, this is a problem that must be dealt with. And it can be dealt with. A stuff sack under the knees, a leg pad, both or positioning my left leg into a "fig 4" so to speak,or "frog leg" or whatever. Once this has been dealt with I can get that profoundly comfortable and deep nights sleep, on my back, that makes most hammocks so great. Once this is dealt with, I personally still find my HH just as comfortable for back sleeping as any of the others. The only dif I find are related to side sleeping ( which I don't really have to do considering how comfortable I have been, but people vary) and "user friendly/personal pref" issues. Like top loader vs bottom, ability to reach out of the hammock, net and zipper issues, sense of roominess and net away from my face, ease of set up, ease of achieving back warmth or ease of pad use,etc, etc. All important issues though varying in importance among individuals.

But when it comes to pressure on my left calf, I don't find much dif, it has to be dealt with ( in my case) in every hammock I have tried except the BMBH. Which does not mean I am declaring the BMBH to be better than all others in all ways, there are pros and cons. But regarding the solving of this issue at least, it is unique, in a class by itself. YMMV and probably will!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I have experienced this in several gathered end hammocks. In almost all of these cases I can shift my body more to the center of the hammock, specifically my butt, and/or adjust my diagonal lay and it eliminates the crease on the back of my legs.

The HH is the exception to this rule. Readjusting will help lessen the crease behind the legs, but it can always be felt a little bit. I think it's because of the entry slit.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Sometimes this drives me wild in my HH and other times I don't feel it at all. At times I have rehung the hammock... at other times I have been base camped and the hammock has not changed hang. But still I can notice some nights and not others. Go figure.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The is a bump, crease, whatever that I notice in my Expedition (not terrible), but I never noticed the same in my Explorer. Both are asym so the only difference I can think of is length. I'm right at 6' and the Explorer is a much more comfortable hammock to me than the Expedition.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    After 2Q/ZQ removed the velcro and sewed the entry shut on my HH, the crease/bump has been less of problem.

After hiking 7 icy miles at Mt. Rogers, I went to sleep a bit stiff. However, I woke up in the middle of the night with my leg muscles completely relaxed, warm and comfortable.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123