Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    As I mentioned in the OP, I had contaced Kelty and was waiting for a reply. Their customer service is known to be excellent and here's an example: When I wrote to them about it, I asked them if there was any way I could restore the waterproofness to the tarp. They responded the next day... "I think we can help you... send it to us."
    Here's the update on my Kelty customer service experience.

I had originally asked how I could restore the tarp's waterproof performance. I didn't ask for a warranty repair or replacement or even hint that I expected it. When they said to send it in, I removed my stake-out lines, packed it up nicely and spent the postage to mail it across the country to CO.

I got it back today with a note saying "we have determined the lamination degradation that your are experiencing is due to normal wear and tear from the many years that this tarp has been used." They said they couldn't repair it but offered me a discount if I wanted to buy another one.

Well, as I mentioned previously, I've had the tarp for a while. But it has seen VERY little use! It honestly looks like new... most of the tie out loops are still pressed flat and crisp, never having had a line tied to them. It has been in clean, dry storage in my house.

Again, from the beginning, I didn't expect them to replace it. I asked how to repair it. They told me to send it in, which I did, at my expense. At that point, I was getting the idea they intended to repair or replace it... why else would they tell me to send it to them after I only asked HOW to repair it?

It turned out to be a waste of my time and money. Oh well....

No biggie. I now have a nice new OES MacCat Deluxe to use. And I have a bottle of McNett TentSure that I can use to try to fix up the heavy Kelty tarp.

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    desmobob, I have to say I am pretty shocked as obviously you sound like you were as well. I have had several pieces of gear from different manufacturers who have always just replaced the item with no questions asked. I have a few Kelty items myself. Sorry to hear that they didn't come through for you. Regards, Dale

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123