WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips

Ultra-NuB Goofus whoopiesling question

I'm buying my gear one piece at a time over several months. I got the WBBB last month. For the time being, until I can save for a real tarp, I going to go with the Wally World blue poly tarp. So I emailed the whoopieslings guy about how to suspend the tarp. He recommended his 30 ft yellow whoopiesling plus the small metal s-hooks with the spring-loaded "locks" (I know that's not what they're called; I just don't remember the terminology). So I get this long, yellow cord with several loops on it, a plastic thing on one end all rolled up, a hook that I think may be called a 9-hook, along with the s-hooks. I have no idea which end is up, which hooks to the grommets (I at least know what those are) on my Wally World tarp, what goes around the tree, and can just see myself out there the first time putting up the tarp (I've already setup the WBBB and all went fine), not having the foggiest idea know how to get it done. Is it going to magically make sense when I unroll the whoopesling out there between the two trees, or can you guys give me some advice in advance?

(I told you I was a goofy NuB)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I drew up a diagram for Opie on how to tie up some of those things

http://whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html

Let me know if that helps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    This video was made by HF member opie when he was the owner of whoopieslings.com. I'm not sure if its the same as what smokebait sells but maybe it will help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Bp1...layer_embedded
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    If Stu hasnt changed the design, then the vid in the above post is how to get it all sorted out.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    I'm buying my gear one piece at a time over several months. I got the WBBB last month. For the time being, until I can save for a real tarp, I going to go with the Wally World blue poly tarp. So I emailed the whoopieslings guy about how to suspend the tarp. He recommended his 30 ft yellow whoopiesling plus the small metal s-hooks with the spring-loaded "locks" (I know that's not what they're called; I just don't remember the terminology). So I get this long, yellow cord with several loops on it, a plastic thing on one end all rolled up, a hook that I think may be called a 9-hook, along with the s-hooks. I have no idea which end is up, which hooks to the grommets (I at least know what those are) on my Wally World tarp, what goes around the tree, and can just see myself out there the first time putting up the tarp (I've already setup the WBBB and all went fine), not having the foggiest idea know how to get it done. Is it going to magically make sense when I unroll the whoopesling out there between the two trees, or can you guys give me some advice in advance?

(I told you I was a goofy NuB)
    I think this diagram on the whoopiesling site tells the story.

The plastic thing would be the so-called knot bone. Permanently attached to one end of the cord. So at one tree you bring that knot-bone around and do some funky wrapping (all in the figures) to fasten down that end of the ridge-line. Now at the other tree you bring all your cord around, and are faced with the problem : how do I fasten this down to keep it taut? That's where the "Figure 9" geehaw comes in. This makes an "anchor" on the cord at a point between the tarp and the tree, where you can tie off the that you passed around the tree. I did a quick look for a video on using the Figure-9,
    I found this one, what you really want to see is around 2:00 and after. This fellow is using the Figure-9 to tie off a loop around a stake, but the principle is the same.

But but but but the figure-9 you have is tied to a small loop of cord that is itself looped around the ridgeline. What the ??? This is a nice trick for easily moving that figure-9 along the ridgeline cord to where you want it. None of this fooling around like the guy in the video does with bights. Welcome to the wonders of the prusik knot. So what YOU want to do is bring the cord around the tree, then slide that loop from which the figure-9 dangles to be about 1 or 2 feet from the tree, then tie off the cord from around the tree just as shown in the video. The magic bit is that under tension now the prusik loop won't slide, your anchor stays firm.

Now the only puzzle is attaching the tarp, but this is child's play. Center or otherwise place the tarp over the ridgeline where you want it to hang. Those S-biners you see still are hanging off of---you guessed it---more prusik loops. So you position those S-biners to be close to the tarp, between tarp and tree, slide them close enough to clip the S-biner through the tarp grommet, and then tug a little on the prusik pulling it away from the tarp to add some tension and keep the tarp from moving.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Fortunately, I pointed you at the picture, hope the words help. Good luck.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Thanks guys. All good info. Im sure I'll get it going with your kind assistance. Too bad everyday folks you meet just going through life aren't as interested in helping folks like y'all are.

• + New Posts