WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

3S to Winter conversion possible?

If I have JRB Nest, can I add down to it to make it into a proper winter UQ? Or is there a design difference that would defeat the over-stuffing? (like baffles being too small)

I can't quite afford a winter quilt, I'm considering *making* one, but also weighing the options of modifying what I have now. And just curious if anyone has thought about or done this.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Packing too much down into a certain sized baffle will defeat the downs ability to loft and work effectively.
    Additional layer of pad or window sunshield will be your easiest way to boost warmth for cold temps.
    Adding a sock or undercover will add a few degrees and help block some wind.

Cold weather requires more gear, theres no two ways around it.
    Try to multiuse your gear. Wear your warm, dry clothes to bed. Keep your jacket or vest close by to drape over you. Drink a warm beverage before bedtime.

I recently picked up a sunscreen from the dollar store. Super light and folds up to the size of a water bottle. I use it as a sit pad when folded. Opened up and set under my legs, I was comfortable last week in 30-40 degree nights.

Cutting into your quilt..I would not. It's a great piece of gear.
    Keep it original. Resale value.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Packing too much down into a certain sized baffle will defeat the downs ability to loft and work effectively.
    Additional layer of pad or window sunshield will be your easiest way to boost warmth for cold temps.
    Adding a sock or undercover will add a few degrees and help block some wind.

Cold weather requires more gear, theres no two ways around it.
    Try to multiuse your gear. Wear your warm, dry clothes to bed. Keep your jacket or vest close by to drape over you. Drink a warm beverage before bedtime.

I recently picked up a sunscreen from the dollar store. Super light and folds up to the size of a water bottle. I use it as a sit pad when folded. Opened up and set under my legs, I was comfortable last week in 30-40 degree nights.

Cutting into your quilt..I would not. It's a great piece of gear.
    Keep it original. Resale value.
    I figured you'd say that. I was more curious than serious.

I'm trying to keep my gear fast and relatively light. I'm not UL by any stretch (I think my military style pack probably weighs in at 5lb ). But I like simplicity of one UQ, one TQ, quick setup hammock, quick setup tarp, stuff-sack pillow and DONE! --KISS--

So I'll have to just save up and pony up the green for a proper deep winter quilt, or make one myself. I think with a killer UQ and some sort of BBO or IX peapod, I would be able to keep my 3S TQ and be G2G.

Did I use enough abbreviations there?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    NNTMAFM.

Nope, not too many abbreviations for me.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I talked to the Jacks a while ago, & basically they said that would be A LOT of work, with a high chance of (my words) screwing up a good quilt.

MY suggestion is: put something over / under your current quilt. A fleece blanket* as a quilt liner can add at least 10 degrees (my experience), & put a "Space blanket" between the UQ & the fleece blanket can at least double that. A hammock sock adds 10 degrees easily for a small weight penalty. (For WBBB owners: a BBO (Arrowhead equipment) & / or a IX UQ from Molly Mack Pack)
    Have a chemical heater or 2 handy "Just in case" & you should be able to get to Mt Rogers hangout temps easily!

Yes, these things can add more weight than the same R value of down, but less chance of ruining your perfectly good quilt.

Also, a lesson learned at MtRogers: Staying warm in winter often depends on 3 things; Location, Location, Location. WE have gotten a 10 degree temp range from hammocks Less than 50' apart. So Pick a sheltered location, up hill from the lowest point. Have a way to close up your tarp (doors or like mine close the ends over themselves.) & a good mental attitude can go a long way towards getting through a cold night!

* Suspend it like your UQ, or fasten it to the Quilt w safety pins.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I talked to the Jacks a while ago, & basically they said that would be A LOT of work, with a high chance of (my words) screwing up a good quilt.

MY suggestion is: put something over / under your current quilt. A fleece blanket* as a quilt liner can add at least 10 degrees (my experience), & put a "Space blanket" between the UQ & the fleece blanket can at least double that. A hammock sock adds 10 degrees easily for a small weight penalty. (For WBBB owners: a BBO (Arrowhead equipment) & / or a IX UQ from Molly Mack Pack)
    Have a chemical heater or 2 handy "Just in case" & you should be able to get to Mt Rogers hangout temps easily!

Yes, these things can add more weight than the same R value of down, but less chance of ruining your perfectly good quilt.

Also, a lesson learned at MtRogers: Staying warm in winter often depends on 3 things; Location, Location, Location. WE have gotten a 10 degree temp range from hammocks Less than 50' apart. So Pick a sheltered location, up hill from the lowest point. Have a way to close up your tarp (doors or like mine close the ends over themselves.) & a good mental attitude can go a long way towards getting through a cold night!
    * Suspend it like your UQ, or fasten it to the Quilt w safety pins.

That's a great post right there. Thanks Doc!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

MY suggestion is: put something over / under your current quilt. A fleece blanket* as a quilt liner can add at least 10 degrees (my experience), & put a "Space blanket" between the UQ & the fleece blanket can at least double that. .....
    What Doc said. So far anyway, whether with a SS or a PeaPod, I have had wonderful success putting a space blanket between the hammock and the rest of the insulation. Just that additional ~ 2 oz alone has allowed me to be adequately warm on my back to ~10* in the 20*F rated PeaPod. And I suspect it adds even more than that to my SS.

However, keep in mind that several folks have had condensation problems when attempting to use a space blanket(SB) or vapor barrier(VB). I have not yet had any problem of that sort. But, I think some experimentation in a safe place is highly recommended. And if you do suffer any condensation problems from having a SB/VB under your hammock, make sure you have it set up so that the moisture stays on top of the SB/VB and does not get into your down UQ.

And what about, instead of or in addition to a SB/VB, somethin like a MMP IX sock to cover the entire hammock? I bet those 2 items together would add a LOT of warmth to a 3 season UQ.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

And what about, instead of or in addition to a SB/VB, somethin like a MMP IX sock to cover the entire hammock? I bet those 2 items together would add a LOT of warmth to a 3 season UQ.
    That's basically what I said above, about using a BBO or IX PeaPod/Sock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    That's basically what I said above, about using a BBO or IX PeaPod/Sock.
    Yep, that's what happens when I start typing, stop for breakfast and and a cabinet drawer repair, and finish about 2 hours later! I miss the intervening posts! However, I did start with: "like Doc said".

Then I thought my personal experience with SBs, plus mentioning some other folks problems with them might be helpful. Plus a final consideration, using SBs and IX socks together, all added to your 3 season quilt.

Anyway, it can be done, boosting from 3s UQ to 4s. But I now see you prefer a one quilt approach. So I agree you probably will just have to cough up the $ for a winter quilt.

• + New Posts