Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I would agree if you were to be sewing one from scratch . . .

But if your just standing between two trees,
    and readying your self to hang a hammock . . .

I would say it is a simple thing to do . . .

I have hung the NX150 and the Tropical w/attached tarp . . .

and they are as simple as it gets,
    2 suspension lines and done,
    hello . . . it's hung.

With the NX series, the insulation is in the pockets,
    and once it is hung so is the under insulation, Z-liner.

Couldn't get any simpler than that.

PS. wouldn't the above quote be in violation of
    HF Vendor Guidelines #5
    don't take what i said the wrong way, i was in no way criticizing the clark, i just stated the obvious, and i think many would agree that it is the most complex, complicated hammock design on the market. multiple external pockets, multiple zippers, netting, weathershield etc. there's alot going on in the design.

when big papi used the term "complicated" i did not interpret that to mean anything regarding setup time. aside from differences in suspension and how you like your tarp rigged, ANY hammock sets up in a similar timeframe, (tie it to the trees and you're basically done like you said, but that isn't unique to a clark) uq's and tarps can stay attached for quicker setup no matter what hammock you have.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-11-2010 at 19:42.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    don't take what i said the wrong way, i was in no way criticizing the clark, .
    Please forgive me.

i think many would agree that it is the most complex, complicated hammock design on the market.
    You have now added the word Complex,
    and yes I would agree with that, but
    I guess I was struck with the connotation of the word "Complicated" and not the denotation of the word.
    Sorry

Merriam-Webster - Definition of COMPLICATED
    1: consisting of parts intricately combined <a complicated recipe>
    2: difficult to analyze, understand, or explain <a complicated issue>
    1. would apply to the Clark's construction, and
    2. would not apply

multiple external pockets, multiple zippers, netting, weathershield etc. there's alot going on in the design.
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite &amp; WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    All the fuss? Look at Bradley and Brandon's conversation--it takes four posts to determine they were in agreement the whole time. Particular and courteous is just our nature, and what interests us in each other's experiments. A forum for hammocks is a very narrow scope, but each individual is searching for the perfect setup for them. I'm glad you found your perfect setup--until your next one!

...and welcome!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I use roughly the same setup as the OP suggests. I use a Marmot Trestless 15 for top insulation and a Big Agnes Insulated Air core for bottom insulation. I am currently working on a double layer and going to use a CCF pad for insulation in that one. The reason I would love to get a dedicated TQ and UQ is because I think it will be more comfortable and will save some weight.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps &amp; Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    ok, I have been reading the forums for quite a while now and there are a couple of things that confuse me, especially being a newb. It seems like people are getting too complicated with UQs and TQs, and space liners and pads, and socks/pods, etc......

Having spent close to a hundred nights in the backcountry, all but 2 as a ground dweller (thank God for those 2 nights, changed my life!), I am trying to figure out why all the fuss.

After a bit of research, I bought a clarks nx-250 because it is a 4 season hammock and has a built in tent (so to speak) which will help seal in warmth on those mostly cold weather trips. I am looking to simply unzip a 15 degree mummy and use as a "top quilt" and use the big agnes insulated air core pad under me. I can see maybe adding a space blanket and maybe a fleece throw for the really cold nights. Do most other brands of hammocks have an open top? Is that why everyone needs specially made tqs and uqs? To me, the nx250 allows me to use my current backpacking gear. the only thing i am changing is going from a tent to a hammock.

Am I looking at this too simply? Keep in mind I am a newb, so I am not trying to be offensive/arrogant, just kind of confused. Does the clarks product cost keep more people from buying it? It is my first hammock, so I am guessing I must be ignorant.

Help?
    Hello Big Papi:

I do not think that you are looking at things too simply. From what I understand, you have researched the subject thoroughly and made an informed and well considered decision regarding the purchase of your hammock.

FWIW, my two favorite hammocks are a Clark NX-250 (purportedly complicated) and a Warbonnet Traveler (purportedly simple as it gets); and I wouldn't want to part with either of them. Depending on the circumstances of use, each are an important "bit of kit" to me.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    A clark is "complex" ?!

I'd say it is the most efficient, simplest working hammock design there is. the stormshield solves the problem instantly which others kep trying to deal with by pieces of insultext, hammock socks, bear burritos, top covers etc etc yet the clark NX-250 does it with a simple zip, it could not be simpler or more effective. The pockets? more simplicity. Their position makes perfect sense.

The one and only thing which annoys me about it are the poles and the fact they don't break down into shorter sections.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner &amp; DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark

Clark Hammocks - Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    A clark is "complex" ?!

I'd say it is the most efficient, simplest working hammock design there is..
    Bingoooooo

The one and only thing which annoys me about it are the poles and the fact they don't break down into shorter sections
    But when they are in-place . . . How sweat it is . . . roomy
    (and no hammock guy strings to negotiate)

Personally, I don't mind the length/weight

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    A clark is "complex" ?!

I'd say it is the most efficient, simplest working hammock design there is. the stormshield solves the problem instantly which others kep trying to deal with by pieces of insultext, hammock socks, bear burritos, top covers etc etc yet the clark NX-250 does it with a simple zip, it could not be simpler or more effective. The pockets? more simplicity. Their position makes perfect sense.
    They should hire you to make their commercials .

I think Brandon might have been looking at them as a hammock maker would. The design is fairly complex if you look at it from a builder's point of view.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner &amp; DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I think Brandon might have been looking at them as a hammock maker would. The design is fairly complex if you look at it from a builder's point of view.
    And from a DIY perspective it is over the top complex . . .

With that said: I am hoping this winter
    to DIY a one season totally insulated
    enclosed winter hammock w/spreader bars.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah maybe from a builders pov its complex, but from a users pov, its simplicity itself, and there is SO much room in there.

I'm in England and so couldnt get to a hang to take a look at all the models people use so I just did a load of research into all the different types. I figured that whilst the clark was the most expensive by some margin, it was the best one, particularly with the storm shield addition. One other area that I find is often overlooked with clark is the quality of the tarps. Mine is excellent (the large version) and so so easy to pitch and keep tight, yet the fittings are not over engineered like on so many others, they're up to the job but not past it, nor too heavy or too clunky.

Interestingly, i got back from my last hang and I noticed a tear in the material at the head end along a stitch line. I took a pic, emailed clark to see what they said, and they just said that they couldnt determine from the pic if it was a rip caused by something that had happened or a fault. so send it back we ll repair it for free and return it to you for free. I've had it for 13 months. You can't say fairer than that.

I do actually fancy a Blackbird, for the simple reason that it doesnt have the poles, but the lack of a stormshield puts me off it, and I dont want to buy a third party cover like the arrowhead one (great though I'm sure it is).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast