Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I agree wiht Lori kind of:

For the very reasons she says she would not buy a Clark I would. For me the Clark is a single system that does everything I may need without adding other "stuff." If I want, I can "strip it down" to just a hammock or I can leave the pieces on I need for that particular trip. It is the Land Rover of the Hammock industry IMO. It will do anything. But if you are only driving back and forth to work on paved roads, it is a little overkill. But if you don't really know what conditions you will be driving in day to day, you can get in it and not worry.

And if you just want to have the coolest most expensive ride in the neighborhood.............well you need a Clark.
    Personally, I would love to try a Clark, but never have. By the time I found out about the Clarks, I already had a HH with SS, and also a 17 oz Speer (~21 oz with bug net).

And once you already have a few hammocks and tarps and insulation systems, it's tough to cough up 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a new system.

Only by trying one can I determine for sure if the comfort would be right for me. You know, lot's of folks may swear by the comfort of Hammock A after using many other hammocks, but another person who has also used many hammocks might swear by hammock B. You can't really know until you try and spend 10 hours in it.

But, it looks really cool to me, and I would love to try the entire system. Though I have never felt much assurance from the built in insulation pockets, who knows? Need to try it?

But not only does it come down to additional money, it is also a weight issue. I see the NA is ~ 3 lbs 2 oz. Not really that bad for the entire system rated for comfort @275 lbs. The fly seems kind of small, but with that weather shield I'm sure it would keep you real dry. But if you want to have a bigger fly to hang out under, you need to add some more cost and weight to the above.

Somebody previously mentioned throwing solutions at the problem, like layers of IX and such. But I'm thinking of a recent trip where I was not expecting lows to be any colder than the upper 40s, almost a zero chance of rain and probably very little problems with bugs, because it has been so dry. So I decided to go with a net free hammock, an IX under quilt at 8 ounces, and my smallest tarp – the old 11 oz Hennessy hammock stock tarp. This worked out perfectly, as my clothes had been treated with permethrin and I used Picaridin bug spray. No bug problems, everything was really wide-open and I could see out of the hammock real good all night. I was warm enough. And my total hammock/bottom insulation/tarp weight was 2.2 pounds. Because I was hiking off trail a good bit on this trip, I was grateful to keep every ounce off my back. There would have been no need to carry another pound or more of hammock gear on this trip. Then again, maybe some of the stock weight of the Clark hammock could have been left behind? Plus of course, there are other lighter Clark models, so......

Anyway, I think it's a really cool design and someday I hope to get to lay around in one to determine the comfort levels. But I guess I'll have to try sleeping in cold weather to determine how well I would like the Clark insulation system compared to things I have been used to using. Things like pea pods, Hennessy Hammock Super Shelters, Warbonnet torso length Climashield UQs, and last but certainly not least: JRB MW4. And hey, even just a plain old pad slipped in the wonderful pad pocket of the BMBH.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Great discussion, but........

it would have been more fun around a campfire. And sharing a bag of cheap ginger snaps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    it would have been more fun around a campfire. And sharing a bag of cheap ginger snaps.

Jim
    Say when.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If you want simplicity buy a bivvy sack, stuff yer sleeping bag in and sleep on the ground; that's just about the simplest thing there is. But we aren't totally about being simple...

The Clark NX-250 is probably the most complex hammock on the planet, and it comes in at a hefty price point. True one man's heavy price tag is another man's pocket change; but when comparing hammocks to hammocks, the Clark is higher priced and more complex in design. However, there is a certain affinity for grab and go gear that was pioneered by Hennessey; an all in one kit is attractive to many, but not all. Which is why we have so many camping hammock designs.

My systemic approach is modular and flexible, that is what I want and I am willing to endure a certain amount of complexity to achieve that. Using an all-in-one/non-modular system is simpler but has more limited carry and use options.

We are only able to get out of a system what we put into it. You are willing to sacrifice flexibility for an all in one system and pay someone else to design and build it. I want a more flexible system so I need to choose and build (or have built) my components carefully. Neither is right or wrong, both are well suited for certain hammocking philosophies. This is one of the things I love about hammocks; each system can be tailor made for the user or used off the shelf like the Clark system. You can see it in everything we use from stoves to packs...

I chose an open system where flexibility is rule 1, you chose a closed system where simplicity is rule 1...

So, if your question to me is, "why is your system so complicated?", mine will be, "why is your system so ridged and inflexible?"; different philosophies, that's all.

HYOH
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I like your response.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    It's only as complicated as you want to make it I guess At MAHHA there must have been somewhere at least 30-40 different hammock setups and they ranged all over the place. I saw everything from start-to-finish DIY to a stock Clark NA, ultralight rigs, you name it. Lots of people use Hennessey Hammocks and Clarks specifically because you can get a whole package for one price. There's no reason at all not to use a stock hammock if it works for you.

Other folks prefer to select each piece individually and never seem to stop tweaking their setups. Naturally, the folks who tweak the most also create the most traffic on the forums, since there's lots to talk about. I knew I was going to change my mind many times and customize a lot, so I opted not to go with an "all in one" package myself, but I certainly considered it. There's a distinct appeal to just pick up a hammock with weather shield, bug protection, and suspension all included and just get out there in the woods and enjoy it.

I didn't have any gear to speak of when I started, so there was no real reason for me not to go with quilts instead of a sleeping bag & pad. When it comes to my overall rig, I'm sure I'll spend more time tweaking it than sleeping in it My wife on the other hand is not convinced on hammock camping. For her the plan is to get her a good ground pad and if/when she does use a hammock, she'll use the same pad in the hammock. For her, simple and self-contained is a bonus, and I would take the exact opposite approach for her hammock as I do for mine. She's willing to carry a 10lb tent to sleep in right now - I'm pretty sure she's not worried about using dynaglide instead of amsteel to shave some grams

Hammock
    Clark, Hennessy A-Sym zip
    Insulation
    insulated air core

Insulation

I just spent this past weekend in my clark nx-150. I used an insulated air core mattress and a -30 degree bag. The temps dipped to about 30. I was toasty warm all night. I wouldn't want to hike with the bag it's too big and heavy, but the mattress works out OK.
    The democracy will cease to exist
    when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    Clark
    I really enjoy everybody's comments.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345