Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    If you weren't in CZ (where my family is from), I'd ask for you to send any extra my way!
    I would love some too!! I was doing some research myself, trying to find down, more info on down and found this. They are using wild geese, but don't see why it wouldn't work. Freezing the down should kill anything in it.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well I'm off to the US in December this year and springtime next year for work so I'll see if I have any spare

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Many years ago... too many to count... my wife brought a washed fleece back from Scotland into the US. The customs officials were trying to decide if it should be allowed in. It seems they took a dim view of animal products coming in from overseas without the proper documentation and permits. She managed to get get it through it seems, cause we've carted that thing around for ages. But I guess for a while there it was dicey.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I'd be quite skeptical of anything coming from Scotland as well...unless it was in a bottle.

Images
    i've never done anything like this before, but if it were me i'd seperate out the feathers, and then enclose all the down in some sort of breathable bag (breathable ripstop perhaps, probably something downproof), probably even sew the bag shut (i'm thinking a pillowcase looking bag), and then hand wash and rinse till the rinse water came out clear/clean, might as well use a little down soap for the first wash/rinse, and then just continue to rinse till it seemed clean, then toss in the dryer with some tennis balls till it was totally dry and call it good

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    A thought for getting the feathers out of the down. Put the down in a non-downproof bag. and just fluff the bag and all the feathery bits will start poking out. Maybe. It's just an idea I had.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've never done anything like this before, but if it were me i'd seperate out the feathers, and then enclose all the down in some sort of breathable bag (breathable ripstop perhaps, probably something downproof), probably even sew the bag shut (i'm thinking a pillowcase looking bag), and then hand wash and rinse till the rinse water came out clear/clean, might as well use a little down soap for the first wash/rinse, and then just continue to rinse till it seemed clean, then toss in the dryer with some tennis balls till it was totally dry and call it good
    Thanks WBG that was pretty much what I was planning to do. I'll see how it goes

Hammock
    Homemade HH Clone
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpack U/Q
    Suspension
    Loopie Slings ;-)
    Hi Col,

I'm in a similar position to you, in that I have a load of ducks and a few geese running around outside which are now nearly ready for the wok or roasting tin! . IMO, the best way to show respect to animals you raise is to use as many bits of them as you possibly can, which got me thinking of a new down underblanket for my hammock........

So Col, if you're still around, any chance of an update on how you got on with this one?

Cheers!

Blutack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutack View Post
    Hi Col,

I'm in a similar position to you, in that I have a load of ducks and a few geese running around outside which are now nearly ready for the wok or roasting tin! . IMO, the best way to show respect to animals you raise is to use as many bits of them as you possibly can, which got me thinking of a new down underblanket for my hammock........

So Col, if you're still around, any chance of an update on how you got on with this one?

Cheers!

Blutack.

You'll probably get him easier on BCUK or SOTP buddy

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Well, I was wondering when I would see a post about getting down from the bird. I used to have some geese, and I would clip their wings for arrow fletching, but didn't harvest the down. I saw something on dirty jobs, maybe(?), where a game processor would process ducks and geese, and I think they separated the good stuff from the feathers using fans in a "winnowing" process. Good luck!
    Semper Veritas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12