Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Roadtorque,

Thanks for the reply. I can see where a frayed end in cold weather would be a P I T A and could cause me to go to ground in a real emergency.

But I have not found assembling or dissembling the triglides difficult at all.

I hold the weight of the hammock with the same hand holding the triglide so there is no tension in the webbing. With the free hand, I run the webbing through one side of the tri-glide.

I make any centering adjustments at both ends before I run the webbing the other side of the tri-glides. Again I hold the hammock up via the webbing so there is no tension at the tri-glides.

If I have to position the webbing up higher on the trees I don't need to undo the triglides, I just take the weight off the webbing with one hand and re-position the loop higher up the tree.

I have also found that removing the spreader bars releases all the tension in the triglides and makes them very easy to undo.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I really need to attend a hang....
    No, it sounds like you are doing it right. Possibly I have been doing it wrong. I still would doubt that anyone who compares tri-glides to something like whoopies would say they prefer tri-glides. Again, I did it for the better part of a year, once cold weather set in I could see nothing but trouble.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    ...once cold weather set in I could see nothing but trouble.
    Yeah I can definitely see cold weather as a hassle. I've been using triglides for a about a month now and can use them as easily as any other suspension I have. I picked them up just to try something different then my whoopies and cinch buckles.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    No, it sounds like you are doing it right. Possibly I have been doing it wrong. I still would doubt that anyone who compares tri-glides to something like whoopies would say they prefer tri-glides. Again, I did it for the better part of a year, once cold weather set in I could see nothing but trouble.
    FWIW, I prefer the webbing and tri-glide approach.... And it works fine in the cold...Those ends are cut via hot knife and should not be fraying by routine use and storage, If they do, simply singe the ends and your back on easy street

That said, the JRB complete whoopie approach is equally convient, and if I was to convert or upgrade a HH it would be my preferred approach for simplicity and convience given the HH end cord technique...FWIW, any winter freeze conditions for this system are easily overcome as well

Bottom line both approaches are great, light, convient and easy to work in any season...It is great that folk have choices as my friend Ed Speer used to say.

Remember I may have a bias... but on this issue JRB has both dogs in the fight.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL, DIY 12'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glides
    ordered the tri-glides yesterday. I'll throw some pics up next week when I get em. Thanks for the help guys!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am wishy washy.

So far this year I have had whoopie slings, webbing with tri-glides, and webbing with cinch buckles on my CJH. I cannot decide on a system, as each has plusses and minuses.

Heck, before I found HF I was content to tie a HHknot at my stock tree huggers and call it a night. Now I fuss and futz with all sorts of minutia (sp?).

It is a sickness.........

Jim

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You will have no problem at 295. All the components are rated for well over 1000
    hey Dutch - can you clear this up for me? you say they are rated for well over a 1000 so i assume you're talking about the dutch clips and not the tri glides because I do not see anything noted about load limits. if you read on JRB site http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm it says a 1000 pounds of pressure - which isn't a force and doesn't mean if you hang a 1000lbs on the clip it will withhold the weight. Unless the site is not written right.

BG

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Well, they hold all of my 295 pounds, I hung on them fine this afternoon. Have not spent a night with the new suspension system yet, but plan to soon.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    There was a HF post a couple weeks ago that gave a great suggestion about Tri-Glides, of which I own several sets.

TRIGLIDE ON HAMMOCK END< NOT TREE END!

On gathered end hammock, put the triglide end at the hammock--that is, put the webbing through the hammock with the triglide there. On the free end of the straps, wraps it around the tree and add a carabiner, dutch clip or such to cinch it to the tree.

Now your adjustments for length and tension no longer are at the tree (out of reach, inconvenient, makes you get out from under tarp in rain to adjust, and requiring adjusting the strap--which inevitably falls down the tree when you adjust the triglide)--the adjustment is right there conveniently at the end of the hammock.

A great idea from another HF member; I've tried it and love that I no longer have the pesky adjustment of the triglide/strap on the tree.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    There was a HF post a couple weeks ago that gave a great suggestion about Tri-Glides, of which I own several sets.

TRIGLIDE ON HAMMOCK END< NOT TREE END!

On gathered end hammock, put the triglide end at the hammock--that is, put the webbing through the hammock with the triglide there. On the free end of the straps, wraps it around the tree and add a carabiner, dutch clip or such to cinch it to the tree.

Now your adjustments for length and tension no longer are at the tree (out of reach, inconvenient, makes you get out from under tarp in rain to adjust, and requiring adjusting the strap--which inevitably falls down the tree when you adjust the triglide)--the adjustment is right there conveniently at the end of the hammock.

A great idea from another HF member; I've tried it and love that I no longer have the pesky adjustment of the triglide/strap on the tree.
    I saw Dgrav do this at Mahha and it worked out great.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    hey Dutch - can you clear this up for me? you say they are rated for well over a 1000 so i assume you're talking about the dutch clips and not the tri glides because I do not see anything noted about load limits. if you read on JRB site http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DutchClips.htm it says a 1000 pounds of pressure - which isn't a force and doesn't mean if you hang a 1000lbs on the clip it will withhold the weight. Unless the site is not written right.

BG
    With every batch of Dutch clips or Dutch Biners I lift 1000 pounds with it. I have lifted more with both, but I figured the 1000 pound number will take care of any varaibles in the manufacturing process and it is what I personally build me uspension to. I picked up 1700 pounds one time with a Dutch Biner but it was scarey. There is a person on here that uses it at 425 pounds.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast