Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Grizz Beaks or Sewn doors for my Mc Cat Delux

Ok, So im looking for some guidance or just opinions of others. Currently I have a BWWD Weighing in at 22-23 oz. Im looking to lighten up so Im going to order the Mc Cat Delux weighing in at 10.2 oz almost half the weight. I am struggling with deciding two things,

1st. Do I get side pull outs on both sides. I know they are great to have and really open up the tarp but they also cause weight gain. I really like them on my BWWD but do I need them on a Delux. Can I get a nice taught pitch with out them in order to save some weight. Or is the weight insignificant when comparing it to the advantage you gain by being able to make the tarp bigger by pulling it out and having other set up problems.

2ndly. Do I get sewn on Doors or Grizz Beaks. The Grizz Beaks (a pair of them) weigh in at 12 oz's and the Sewn Dorrs (on both sides) weight in at 6.70 oz's. Now I know that the doors weigh less but I also like the option of leaving the Grizz Beak's at home. I also already have a winter tarp with sewn doors, the purpose of the Mc Cat would be for 3 season while I use the BWWD in winter. I am very torn between the two seeing many positives and negatives about both. HF help guide me in makeing this decision but ultimatly I know it how I want to hike my hike. Reguardless I am excited to get my first OES Sil tarp.

~LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love the 2Q/ZQ doors on my MC Deluxe. If you don't want to use them you can just roll them up and tie them with the shock cord loops and toggles.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I love the 2Q/ZQ doors on my MC Deluxe. If you don't want to use them you can just roll them up and tie them with the shock cord loops and toggles.
    That's kinda my train of thought half the weight for doors all the time instead of twice the weight when I do want them. But the grizz beaks really intrigue me. Mabey ill get one sewn door and one grizz beak hhuumm
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Ok, So im looking for some guidance or just opinions of others. Currently I have a BWWD Weighing in at 22-23 oz. Im looking to lighten up so Im going to order the Mc Cat Delux weighing in at 10.2 oz almost half the weight. I am struggling with deciding two things,

1st. Do I get side pull outs on both sides. I know they are great to have and really open up the tarp but they also cause weight gain. I really like them on my BWWD but do I need them on a Delux. Can I get a nice taught pitch with out them in order to save some weight. Or is the weight insignificant when comparing it to the advantage you gain by being able to make the tarp bigger by pulling it out and having other set up problems.

2ndly. Do I get sewn on Doors or Grizz Beaks. The Grizz Beaks (a pair of them) weigh in at 12 oz's and the Sewn Dorrs (on both sides) weight in at 6.70 oz's. Now I know that the doors weigh less but I also like the option of leaving the Grizz Beak's at home. I also already have a winter tarp with sewn doors, the purpose of the Mc Cat would be for 3 season while I use the BWWD in winter. I am very torn between the two seeing many positives and negatives about both. HF help guide me in makeing this decision but ultimatly I know it how I want to hike my hike. Reguardless I am excited to get my first OES Sil tarp.

~LRR
    I have hung under MacCat Deluxes lo these three years, and can assure you they can be pitched taut without tie-outs. At least until it rains...

On doors vs beaks. If I was going on a long hike, long enough so that the chance of wanting end covers was significant, then I'd go with the tarp doors and be done with it. But, as you see yourself, the flexibility of leaving the doors at home when not needed is attractive. So I guess it comes down to how you are likely to use the tarp.

Side note...whether doors or beak, for three seasons you can get by with closing off just one end, IHMO. When you pitch you know the direction from which weather is likely to come. Don't leave the tarp open in that direction

'nuff said
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts