Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: poly tarps?

I used an 8x10 poly tarp over my hammock when I first started hanging & it worked fine. It had blue on one side & silver on the other. It looked cool and the silver side could be used to reflect heat towrds you or for signaling in an emegency. I'd like to find ripstop with a silver underside.

I've gotta ditto Strapped. Rock buttons saved a trip for us once when we were hit by 60+ mph winds. The wind shredded one end of the tarp we were using as a wall around a covered picnic table. Using rock buttons to tie off and bamboo as wall studs, we were able to rebuild a very sturdy kitchen area.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    spursfiend & Strapped-4-Cache I love that tip w/ the rocks. I've heard that one before wish I had thought about it at the time. we were in the middle of making a wind break(wall) with one of the tarps when a 2' die.tree snaped its top and landed on hubby so that ended the trip! I will have to try to remmeber it though for next time! oh hubby was fine, cracked rib

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Air Core
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I use a shock white 8x10 poly tarp and it's done well enough for me. The bulk of the thing bothers me more than the weight honestly.

The grommets have proved to be a problem though as some of them started giving way the first time I set the tarp up.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spursfiend View Post
    I'd like to find ripstop with a silver underside.
    http://www.ahh.biz/products/Aluminiz...on_Ripstop.htm

There ya go, pricey, but exactly what you are looking for.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhandhali View Post
    The grommets have proved to be a problem though as some of them started giving way the first time I set the tarp up.
    I too use the 8x10 blue and silver tarp and the only issue that I have experienced it is the grommets in the middle have pulled away. I finally broke down and got a Noah 12 and I am looking forward to finding out the difference. Other than the sized of course!

Thanks wirerat. You are quite right, exactly what I'm looking for but pricey! If it were available in camo/silver, I might pull the trigger. :-)

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    First, I have nothing new to add to the poly tarp comments: they work fine, can be noisy, the grommets stink so use something else (rock or gripper), price is unbeatable.

Second, when you decide to upgrade: I turned 8yds of sil-nylon into a great homemade tarp. I bought the material from Ed Speer (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/StoreFront.bok), for a song- I think it was under $5/yd at the time. I cut the material in half so that I had two 12' long pieces. I tacked it along the ridgeline, then started sewing. Quickly realizing that I'm a lousy seamstress, I asked a local Korean tailor if she could finish it for me. She did, and hemmed all the edges too.... for $15! I haven't added any tie-outs on it except at the ridgeline- instead I use a variety of tarp-grabber and it's been awesome. 10'x12', for under $60- that's at least $30 cheaper than I can find anywhere else, and on average $100 cheaper!

Third- I think it's awesome that the majority of people that answered your question have all been on this forum for a year or less! The tremendous growth of HF is largely due to the kindness & consideration shown here- and this thread is just one more example of that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12