WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

Lake Jocassee Hang . . .

10/8 - 10/10 . . . Drove my family from Columbia to Devil's Fork State Park for a weekend outing. My brother in law has been wanting to get his wife and two daughters out for their first camping experience so we decided to tie this all together with SwampFox's proposal to have a hang at DFSP. This would also be the first time that my family would all hang together.

We arrived in the early evening hours and with 3 HH Expeds and my WBBB setup, I proceeded to make the trek back and forth to unload our vehicle, set up my former shelter (some people call it a tent...) for my brother inlaw and his family who arrived just conveniently after their home for the weekend was up, set up the kitchen so that all the girls could eat "Walking Tacos", and then started charcoal for Skip and me to enjoy a couple of steaks. . . which we ate at 10:00 pm . Got to meet SwampFox during that time and what a genuinely nice guy and seems to be very excited about his hanging. WFR also stopped by and brought me a frosty beverage, he lost a side bet with me during our fantasy football matchup, but thats just minor details . . . By 11:00 pm, finished cleaning up from the evening dinner, I could hear the faint cry of my BB saying it was lonely.

Saturday morning, I checked in with my wife to see how she slept. Since I just received my new Winter CrowsNest the day before we left (Thanks StormCrow and Throwren !...) I wanted my wife to sleep well so I "allowed" her to have first crack at it. For her first time in the hammock, she said that was the best sleep she has ever had while camping . So, on to make breakfast of eggs, bacon, and fruit for my crew of 8. After my KP duties were complete, we had the arrival of my inlaws, Gram & Doc, and also the arrival of my friend Jason and his family of 4. We had a nice conversation about hammocks and kept up with our Gamecocks as they hosted the Crimson Tide and then politely pointed southwest to show them the way home.

That evening we prepared a "Low Country Frogmore Beaufort Boil Stew" (sorry, its a Goat Island thing...) minus the potatoes since they were left at home. I also prepared a pineapple upside down cake which turned out awesome! Later that evening as my inlaws and Jason and his family were leaving, SwampFox shows up with his wife and a dutch oven filled with Chocolate Turtle Cake. WOW! Still warm, melty goodness of caramel all on top . . .as full as I was from everything prior, I still had to give that a shot. Definitely a good thing and I can see that this SwampFox has a knack for dutch oven goodies. Looking forward to many more! SwampFox also tells me that his wife will also be hanging for her first time on Saturday evening. I hope that all went well and she is looking forward to more hangs.

Sunday morning comes early as our neighboring campers decide to let their dogs bark away at 6:30 am. At this point my wife says her sleep went downhill and was ready to get back on the road and head home. So after a quick breakfast, break down camp, trek the gear uphill to the van, we headed back to Columbia.

Overall it was a great trip with great weather. My brother in law's family had a great first time experience and rated as a 10, I got to meet the "infamous" SwampFox (side note... one of the kids with us said we didn't have to worry about the SwampFox showing up for dessert, he was already dead! . . . see Francis Marion for details ), my wife really enjoyed her first outing in the hammock, my girls already knew that they loved camping in their hammocks and was glad that mommy had a good experience too. For me, it was WORK ! But in the end it paid off well .

I know, I know. . .pics. I am hopeful that SwampFox can add some credibility to this trip as he tooks a few pics. I just didn't have the time.
    Last edited by Muskrat; 10-12-2010 at 11:32.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Congrats on a great family outing...........pics are great and all, but from the reading I have just done I can see smiles from here!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll just piggyback on this thread with my trip report, camping on the beautiful Lake Jocassee.

I wasn't sure who from my clan was coming or when they would show so I got there by myself at 7:15 pm, just in time to set up in the dark.
    After setting up, I hiked over to Casa de Muskrat. He had hammocks hanging everywhere and was still putting them up.

Met WFR, Muskrat and the whole family, including trail hiker extraordinaire "bugbait". We just hung out for a little while and I went back home and crawled into the Blackbird for an incredible night of rest. The temp probably dropped to the low 50s, perfect camping weather IMO.

Woke Saturday to a beautiful day and took the boat out to look for waterfalls.

Mills Creek Falls is one of my favorites. We like to anchor here and just play in the water under the falls.

My other favorite is Laurel Fork Falls. This one is accessible by boat or from the Foothills Trail. It's an 8 mile hike from the Laurel Valley Access to get to three campsites at he top of this waterfall. It cascades down 3 levels and hits the lake behind a huge rock.

Late afternoon, the Mrs and our Chihuahua, Candy, showed up.

Supper was Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ with baked beans, cole slaw, and sweet potato crunch.
    While we were eating, dessert was baking in the dutch oven for a 7:30 rendezvous at Muskrats.

Chocolate Turtle Cake

I had some of this and some of Muskrats Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. It was great!
    He claimed he had never done that before. Thank goodness, it didn't taste anything like my first cake.
    Discussion went to the fact that this was the ladies first time camping in a hammock. I loved Muskrat's comment "She'll be fine, she's in a Blackbird!"

I had two Blackbirds set up side by side for her maiden voyage.
    That's a Mt Washington 4 under hers and the Snugfit I just purchased from Hooch under mine.
    (Thanks Hooch, I know how much you camp, you sure do take good care of your gear)

She crawled in with Candy.

I let her try my Bear Pillow from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and then offered to get her something else. She said, "No thanks, this is fine."
    Note to self, call Paul and get another pillow.

Had a beautiful Sunday sunrise.

I'm up at 7:00 fixing coffee, pancakes, and bacon,

This is them at 9:15.

She had a great night's sleep under perfect conditions for her first time.

About lunch, one son and his wife arrived, had some lunch and hit the water again, just touring the lake and checking out the sights.
    We finally packed up and got out at 6:00 in the evening. It was just a perfect weekend.
    I really enjoyed meeting WFR, Muskrat, and the family. They're good people.

I looked around a good bit this weekend at different camp sites.
    There are two different tent camping sections. Sites 1-20 and sites 21-25.

Over the years, I have enjoyed several of the sites in the large section, especially #13. Now, I would not camp in the area for sites 1-20 if any of the sites 21-25 are available. #25 would be my preference. These 5 sites are a shorter walk from the car, you have unlimited parking for friends and family, and they are spaced farther apart. All are on the water with very easy access. Did I say they were farther apart?

My real favorite though, is in the RV section. My site, backed up to Site 41.
    Sites 39, 40, 41, and 42 are all on the water, all have parking for a couple of cars or a boat, all have a 12X12 tent pad, and all have ample opportunities for hanging. Number 40 is my go-to site. I'm making reservations now for next May.

I also went over to Double Springs. This is a boat-in only primitive campground. There are from 1-3 tent pads and a fire ring on each of the 20 sites. I really didn't see a lot of hanging options. It's a steep hill on one side, flattens out for the pads, and then drops off to the water.

I really hope we can do this again. The second weekend in October looks like a good bet.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    It was good to meet you and the Mrs. That picture of her sleeping at 9:00 in the morning sums up my question whether or not if she slept well. I know my wife wishes that could have been her.

Looking forward to the next time our paths cross . . .
    Last edited by Muskrat; 10-13-2010 at 06:45.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great trip and with new friends and new hangers all the better. Thanks for the trip report.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Very nice report guys. I do wish I could have been there. Work, work, work was the deal for me. The Gorge is coming though!

Looks like everyone had a great time, and great weather too. Thanks for sharing with us.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    It was good to meet you and the Mrs. That picture of her sleeping at 9:00 in the morning sums up my question whether or not if she slept well. I know my wife wishes that could have been her.

Looking forward to the next time our paths cross . . .
    She's a trooper as far as going camping with me, but getting her in a hammock was a big step. It couldn't have gone better. Have to give credit where credit is due... Warbonnet Guy for the hammock, the Jacks for quilts, and God above for the weather.

I'm sure we'll make it out together again. I'm in for a GI trip and between Lake Murray, the FHT, AT, Chatooga, Jones Gap, we have a lot of opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Very nice report guys. I do wish I could have been there. Work, work, work was the deal for me.
    Wish you could have made it too, HB.
    The only thing missing this weekend was more people to share it with.
    I'm sure we'll meet up someday and I look forward to it.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That report made me mighty hungry! Pineapple upside down cake is a fave of mine.
    Good to see those wives slumbering in the BBs....
    Does my heart some good.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts