Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose

Got my Noah 12 today, now I have to learn to set it up!

I go my Noah 12 from REI today and I am very excited to set it up! My last tarp, a poly from Wally World, I set up in a rectangle but could not get it taunt. Every photo I see of the Noah is in a diamond. Does any one have any tips, tricks or ideas that might help me with this decision or should I just play with it and see what happens?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Congrats! I don't have any hints for you, sorry to say, but please post pics as you get the chance.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

I have the Noah 12 and now the Noah 9. The Noah 12 was just too long to set on the diagaonl for me (over 15') The 9 is just about 11' on the diagonal.

So I always set up the 12 on the square. Depending on the weather I will set it up with 4' to one side and 8' to the other for more room for cooking and sitting around. If bad weather is expected I will set it up equaly on each side and even turn the ends in as storm doors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I received my Noah 12 today as well and can't wait to test it out. I will be following this thread for ideas as well.... :-)
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

I love the versitility of this tarp!

I set up my Noah 12 on the square. I use a ridgeline with the tarp secured to the ridgeline with Klemheist knot. This way I can adjust the tarp easily.

This weekend, I had the tarp/hammock set up between 2 trees about 13' apart. I do not think I could have set up either in a narrower gap, with my current rig.

I set it up like a Baker's tent, with one side on the ground and the other open with hiking poles. I had rigged the ridgline and Klemheists in advance, but had not actually set up the tarp that way. With some issues with the ground (hard) and some trees and bushes in the way, I had the whole thing set up and adjusted in under 5 minutes.

If you don't set up the tarp too high, you can easily use secure the 2nd and 4th stake directly to the gound and turn the cat cut corners in to make a storm tent. I love the versitility of this tarp!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    I just measured my usual testing spot (From my tree to the kids play fort) and it is exactly 12' I hope it works in a square. I like the storm door idea since it gets nasty here at times. I will post Pics if I make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by slackmacker View Post
    I just measured my usual testing spot (From my tree to the kids play fort) and it is exactly 12' I hope it works in a square. I like the storm door idea since it gets nasty here at times. I will post Pics if I make it work.
    I don't think it is going to make it in 12'.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Allow me to clarify. With the cat cut, the tarp is only about 11' across in the middle (on the square). With a different arrangement than what I currently have, I might be able to set it up in a 12' spread. The tarp is connected to the ridgeline via a Klemheist, secured to the center tie outs. So add the 3" tie outs to the 2-3" Klemheist on each side and my tarp spans a minimum of 12'. My ridgeline secures to the tree with a Nite Ize figure 9 biner, which has to be spaced slighly outward of the Klemheist, and must tie at least a small distance off the tree.

One of the live oaks I was strung between was leaning slightly inward. I had almost 15', but at the height it was secured, the span was probably right about 13', so I was rather tight. Sorry no pics.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Guess it will have to wait for this weekend! Darn it!

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I own the Noah 9 and 12.

I dislike the long blue bags they come in--hard to roll and restuff, in my opinion. I bought Kelty compression stuffsacks (but you could buy other brands) and just stuff them in there, with lines and tarp stakes in the attached but separated bag. I'll find a link.

Here: I use the red one that she has in her hand, and she does not show it but there is a separate stuff area for tent stakes. Anyhow, tehy're about $14, so there's likely a simpler/cheaper option, but these are good. Wal-mart has roll down stuff sacs (not really compression sacs thogh) that are 9.99 for three, and the largest one would fit the Kelty 12. With the noah 12 in the red kelty stuff sack, I have a small amount of extra room for a hammock (eg. ENO; not likely to fit a Warbonnet), and in a sense, it can all be in one pleace ready to roll.

Enjoy.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHam.../1/JDEDEZU2eOE

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast