Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Or you could bring a warmer under quilt.... I personally see pads as POOR insulation for weight/bulk options as compared to a good down quilt.
    Pads are a great insulation for weight. Much better than underquilts per weight.
    Bringing a warmer underquilt=buying another underquilt such as a JRB Rocky Mtn. Sniveler. Not in my budget right now. I would still have my pad as I would probably need it under 20 degrees.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Or you could bring a warmer under quilt.... I personally see pads as POOR insulation for weight/bulk options as compared to a good down quilt.
    no way, a ccf pad will take you to much lower temps for the same weight than a down uq will.

i got a ccf pad thats almost 3/8" (5/16" actually) and it weighs 8.5 oz. it goes down somewhere into the 30's. it's not even mummy cut.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    I dont wan to argue the differences between a UQ vs pad... I just happen to have a pad at this time and want to make it work for the time being until I can afford a fancy down UQ....
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    no way, a ccf pad will take you to much lower temps for the same weight than a down uq will.

i got a ccf pad thats almost 3/8" (5/16" actually) and it weighs 8.5 oz. it goes down somewhere into the 30's. it's not even mummy cut.
    yeah they are light, but very bulky. so it ends up coming down to personal prefferance and funding.

Images
    Hmmm...

I'll have to go back and check R values again...
    So many projects, So little time....

of course R value is only conduction - ccf pads also block convection and vapor. if the down underquilt was air tight it would be more effective. however it may then have some condensation problems on the warm side like some people have with the pads.

Images
    uq's also have a shell, baffels, and a suspension, and some degree of ineffiency. all these jack up the weight beyond the r-values of down vs. ccf, which i am interested in hearing by the way.

Aren't r-values given on a per inch rating? you would have to figure the weight of ccf per inch.

also, you will need a wider uq than you would a ccf pad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    of course R value is only conduction - ccf pads also block convection and vapor. if the down underquilt was air tight it would be more effective. however it may then have some condensation problems on the warm side like some people have with the pads.

i have found my sil uq is just inefficient enough that vapor can escape enough to avoid any condensation. it fits pretty snug, but it doesn't have a seal around the edges or anything, and since it's not actually touching your skin, it breathes just enough, i've never had any condensation.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yes, UQs are way better comfort wise IMO. But, as much as I dislike the pads, they do have their uses and they are light for the warmth provided. I'm planning to use a combination of the two on my thru; a torso UQ and folded pad for the legs. I can always unfold the pad for those really cold nights and use it in concert with the UQ to stay nice and toasty.

But, yeah the bulk is a huge trade-off. I roll mine into a tube and put inside my Catalyst. There is still room for the rest of my load (barely) and it does add another layer in the fight against wet. It requires me to really pay attention when loading my pack; I can't just toss stuff in there anymore, I actually have to 'pack'.
    missed this the first time. I too bemoan the bulk of underquilts. Something I routinely have done with a pad is roll it up and attach on the outside of the pack. So I was musing that perhaps I could do something like that with an underquilt if I had a waterproof tube, e.g. made of sil and seam sealed (or the low-tech version : in a plastic bag, stuffed into a tube. ) A long cylinder is the right shape for exterior attachment to a pack.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That there is a mighty fine idea Grizz. Sounds like a good project for next week; I'll let you know if it works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast