HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Here's a pic with my string lights on it. My daughter loved writing in her journal before falling asleep with these on.

Here's a link to the lights- http://www.prestigeglassart.com/serv...powered/Detail at 4 oz (that includes the 3aa's that power them) ....
    Hmmmm... saw something similar at Hobby Lobby this week, but it took heavy "C" batteries, so I passed. Did find something similar at Lowe's among the Christmas lights. Perhaps 4' long, takes 3 AA batteries.

Now I wish I could add a dimmer switch. Anyone know something lightweight that would fit the bill? I think the ideal string would be 3' or 4' at most, take AAA batteries, be red LED, and have a dimmer switch.

I see that that web site has red LEDs, at least. Red LEDs, but overkill. Any LED experts know if it's possible to chop off some of the line and even change out the battery box from AA to AAA?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    You could run AAA in the same battery box. If the batterys won't stay in place you just find something to wrap around them to keep them on the contacts. I've used C batteries in D devices that way before. I don't see why you couldn't swap the box out, I don't think there is any electronics in it, just a switch.

This isn't a ultra light option but on short hikes with my kids I have no problem bringing it along as is. I've also used it car camping and it really lights up an area to make it nice to set up camp in the dark.

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    I like to hang my beer off my ridge line but I plan on making a better hammock beer holder or two, one for 24oz cans and one for 40's! The also need to hang up-right!

I smell a cottage business start-up! Hammock Accessories for Drunks!

Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    http://www.countycomm.com/aaapolish.html

Coolest little flashlight I own. Has its own clip.

Also, knife and pistol hang from the ridgeline. The shelf of the WBBB is reserved for books and midnight snacks imo.

http://www.countycomm.com/aaapolish.html

Coolest little flashlight I own. Has its own clip.
    I also have one and my dad has a Fenix E01.....which is a better light IMOHO
    Last edited by bdbart; 12-06-2010 at 11:16.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I clip my Bear Paw pillow to my ridge line (useing bunge cord) that was attached by paul. It always allows me to find my pillow when it slips. I also like to attach my head lamp above for easy fast access.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Smile Hanging from my RL.

I use a Hennessy Exped Asym. Yes, it has undergone the 2QZQ ZipperMod #4---a modification worth its weight in gold. Superb workmanship! Strongly recommended!

Anyway...

I hang my glasses from my ridgeline. My cell phone goes in the little net pouch. My headlamp (a Petzl) gets its elastic strap larksheaded around the RL.

I have two plastic bags from the grocery store. I double the bags, one inside the other. I put my boots in the (doubled) bags. I tie the hand-loops of the bags over the RL, using a small bow; probably could use a small toy biner-clip. That way, my boots do not get dirt on the hammock, sleeping bag, and so on. Also, it seems that the bit of heat rising off me through my sleeping bag keeps my boots somewhat better than freezing; indeed, they even seem to dry out a bit. (I have heard rumors that some wildlife will chew on boots and backpacks or any other item soaked with sweat to get the salt, so better in my hammock with me than on the ground.)

On extremely cold nights, I sometimes tuck a dry-powder hand-warmer or Jon-E-Warmer in the bag to warm and dry my boots a little better.

"I love the smell of warm boots in the morning."

Given that I do most of my backpacking in areas frequented by various wildlife---skunk, opossum, groundhog, squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, coyote, wolf, mountain lion, or bear---I ___never___ allow food or anything that smells of food in my campsite.

All the food, cooking utensils, and clothes I wear while cooking and eating stay at the cooksite, at least 100 yds. away from the campsite. All food-related items are hung at the cooksite when not in use, at least 10' off the ground and at least 4' out from the tree-trunk.

Gotta get me some of those small swiveling lights with the little clips on them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234