Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In SoCal years ago, I watched a healthy eucalyptus drop a seemingly healthy 8" branch on my friend's new VW camper.

In Wisconsin at Devil's Lake, as we were hiking up for some rock climbing, a 40' tree suddenly fell across the trail about 20' in front of us.

Grampa,
    Man, I think the trees are trying to tell you guys something. You weren't a lumberjack were you? lol
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I was night fishing in a storm. I heard a huge 'craaaaack' 'whoomph'-it sounded like it was a good distance away. I thought " I'm glad that didn't fall on me" as you would.
    When I woke up in the morning and looked out of my bivvy, the willow 20 yards to my left had come down-the wind was so strong it muffled the sound.

I had a branch land on my rod one night too in heavy rain, followed by 3 more that fell in the same place.

Neither of these 2 compare to the 25 ft wall that a guy knocked clean over with his jcb at work. It fell on the skip I had been at literally a few seconds earlier, covering me in dust and bits of smashed breeze. The look we gave each other cannot be described. I still touch cloth just thinking about it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My first trip on the AT (March 1989), had made it to one of the Low Gap Shelters (the one just north of Neil's Gap) Slly & I were in his tent, Trip was about 20' away (WNW of us) in his, the shelter was FULL, & a pretty good T-storm was gathering strength, all 3 of us had looked for widow makers; about midnight CRASH about 20' away, to the WNW. Me; "OMG that sounded like it landed on Trip!" Sly: "Go check on him" Me: "No way, You go see if he is OK"
    This went on for a while, I finally called out loud enough for Trip to have heard me "Hey Trip, you OK?" He responded that he thought the tree had landed on Sly & I, & was afraid to go look too. Turns out it was "Just" a large branch, about 4" diameter 12' or so long. It would have done some serious damage, but we lucked out, it had landed dead center between the 2 tents.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Last year while winter camping I was about 30 yards from a tree that exploded and toppled during the night when the temperatures fell rapidly. I guess the ice expanded.

Some years ago I was on the porch of a cottage when lightning took the top off an old oak about 30 feet away. Fortunately the broken bit fell on the other side of the tree.
    Last edited by sk8rs_dad; 10-15-2010 at 07:24.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    About ten years ago I had a 25' cotton wood tree land on my house during a thunder storm. Scared the b-jesus out of me. No trees falling in the woods YET!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Dang! that picture of the guy hanging in the cave is lookin' rather good to me

Once many years ago I was hiking on a friend's property when a large tree fell, no wind, it just fell. It was a pretty cool thing to witness, and after walking over to it, the entire heart was gone and there was beautiful fungi inside.
    leigh
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    I don't know about you guys. But, falling tree limbs (large) and falling trees freak me out more than any bear, snake or deranged human being ever will in the backcountry.
    Same here. I've only become really concerned about this since becoming a hanger, though the danger was there for tent camping as well.

I was setting up a hammock in a nearby state park on a wind free day, when suddenly a large tree about 50 yards away came crashing down. Not kosher if you ask me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I was teaching 2sticks (daughter) to look for widow makers on our last trip. I did not want to make her scared about hanging but wanted her to start understanding what goes into safe hammock camping. We had the conversation, she sorta understood. About 15 minutes later a huge limb came crashing from a tree about 75 yards from us. 2sticks said "That was a widow maker wasn't it" How lucky was that for a great example for her!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    There are two trees both ~8-10" diameter at their base hung up in the crook of adjacent tree hovering over a section of trail I hike at least weekly. One sings, groans to you with the slightest breeze. Bit of a hint. On the property I have an endless supply of fire wood in the form of dying or windblown trees. For as much that comes down I rarely hear anything hitting the ground.

Few years ago I took down a moderate size red oak (~18"). Should have been a routine drop. About 1/2 through the cut I heard a sharp crack. The tree zippered up ~12ft, bending uphill (opposite direction of intended drop), then snapped flinging itself downhill like an arrow. By that time I was a distance away from this uncontrolled situation. The cracking, snapping sound was loud. Also felt the breeze created by the crown of the tree as it flew downhill. Luckily the Jonsered which I dropped before running to clear away from the tree was not damaged.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast