I thought about using snaps, but decided that to get snaps that I thought would hold up to the strain, they'd have to be much too large and heavy. I wanted to avoid velcro/omni-tape as well, since the inside of my TQ is fleece, and I didn't want it sticking and pulling. I started to play around with designing a bunch of mini soft shackles, with a row of lanyard knot toggles on one side, and a corresponding row of mini soft shackles on the other side, but couldn't get them to the right size I wanted, that allowed for being able to easily attach and detach them, while still closing the two sides together snugly. So I went with a row of 1/2" grossgrain ties instead, and can tie it as tightly as I want.
As to why, I originally hoped to make this quilt multi-use, with the ability for it to lay flat, and be hung like an UQ if needed. But I neglected to add corner loops, so in the end it was sort of moot. But at least that was the original plan.