WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips

NuB attempts cheapo, redneck pad mod

I just took some duct tape and couple of pads to make a cheapo, redneck modification of the Wally World blue ccf. I had an old 2/3 length ccf laying around the garage. I bought a new full-length ccf at Wally World. I cut two 7" strips off one end of the old pad and used duct tape to attach them to the sides of the new pad approximately 8" down from one end to allow for some shoulder coverage. Next week I'll test it out between the layers of my WBBB on a short one-nighter

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    haha i like the ingenuity albeit in high contrast from the WBBB. take pics and let us know how it works!
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    I just took some duct tape and couple of pads to make a cheapo, redneck modification of the Wally World blue ccf. I had an old 2/3 length ccf laying around the garage. I bought a new full-length ccf at Wally World. I cut two 7" strips off one end of the old pad and used duct tape to attach them to the sides of the new pad approximately 8" down from one end to allow for some shoulder coverage. Next week I'll test it out between the layers of my WBBB on a short one-nighter
    Looks like you've discovered the ghetto version of a segmented pad extender (SPE). That should keep you warm to the 48-52 range with no other bottom insulation.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    I did the same thing. It works, though i haven't overnighted with it. I later cut some darts in the edges where it was bunching up a bit. Fits well. Duct tape rules! Look forward to hearing the results of your overnighter.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips

NuB reports on redneck pad

I went out last night on my first hand with my WBBB and my redneck pad modification; I also enhanced the redneck experience by putting a car sunshield on top of it. It took me awhile to get to sleep. I'm not sure I can lay all blame for that on the pad or not. There was a full moon which made it pretty bright, and I'm not one who gets to sleep easily when it's not dark. I was also lying there preoccupied with how the ALCS was turning out.

The good thing is that the pad held together! I had a similar experience to other folks who have posted here about their pad. I did have a little trouble keeping it in place, but when it was in place the extended width at the shoulders was a definite plus. When I tried sleeping on my side my butt got a little cold. The forecast was for 41 degrees which seems to have been accurate. I used a 20 degree sleeping bag for my top quilt which was fine (another redneck, I'm-putting-off-spending-my-money substitution).

I put my day pack under my legs which kept them perfectly insulated. My feet could have used another pair of woolen socks around 3:30.

I could have used another layer of ccf (or maybe another coat) and I think the bottom insulation would have been adequate, but that would still have been restricted my to sleeping on my back to keep the butt warm, but that's not a major problem. My concern with adding the second layer is with the bulk of the pad. It's already pretty bulky as is. I was wondering about those wide Thinlight pads. It's my impression that they're not as bulky as the ccf. Maybe two of those between the layers of the WBBB would solve the need for wrap-around coverage and could roll up tighter for transport that the ccf.

I'm sure some of your guys are just screaming, get an underquilt. I likely will, but in the mean time I'm still experimenting with pads.

Right now I'm thinking that minimizing bulk is a little more important than than minimizing weight. I'm not doing extra-long hikes so I can tolerate a little more weight.

Any comments are welcome. I'm very likely overlooking something.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Like Wisenber mentioned, you've created a lazy man's SPE. Check them out on the forums and they may give you some ideas.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips

2nd outing w/redneck pad mod

One week after the first experiment I went out again in about the same type of weather. this time I took the leftover CCF used to make the extenders. I placed it under the redneck mod and allowed it to wrap around my butt. NO problem with the cold. Great night of sleep. Still working on reducing bulk. There seems to be two types of the blue ccf pad one is a little more pliable than the other. I think that's the one I need to go with all the way around when using ccf as a pad.

Hammock
    "Sherman" dyi DL digital camo
    Tarp
    dyi 12x12
    Insulation
    dyi tc ccf
    Suspension
    7/64 amstell blue
    I did the same with two pads as you did but I also taped refectex on the top side. Don't know how low it toke me (I'm guessing mid 30's)but there was frost on the ground when I woke up. An never really got cold. The refectex is a good addition to ccf, (noisey) but not bulky.
    If you can't duck it then use more duct tape!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Love the sun screen addition! I have tried that one too, and it's great. It seems like it reflects heat back to me in my WBBB. There is something very satisfying about buying your hammock gear at the Dollar store...
    On the other hand, all my trips to Lowes, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and various fabric stores for "ingenious" use of stuff to improve my hammock setup tend to add up. It would probably be a lot cheaper to just go ahead and buy the real thing, but hey, what's the fun in doing that?!
    Relax, we are all terminal...

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have been using pads and an SPE for years; they work great if you don't mind the bulk. Using the Molly MacPAck makes it easier as I can lash the pads on just about anywhere I want regardless of bulk.

I had luck with double bottom hammock using the adhesive velcro buttons to attach the wings together before I inserted them into the layers of the hammock. You just need enough to keep it all together until you get in really; the double layer really does a good job of keeping it all together after that.

I just bought my first underquilt, so I may donate the SPE to some unsuspecting newbie at our next gathering, but we will hafta wait and see.

If you have the inclination, try Evazote pads. A little more expensive than the Wal-Mart pads, but you can get them in many different thicknesses and layer them to suit your temperature range without having to carry extra. Also, foam4u has lots of CCF options as well.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast