Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    After really wanting to make an insulated jacket or vest for a long time, I bought an insulated jacket last night. Which did the trick. I'm taking it back today and am finally going to get going on a vest tonight.
    I wouldn't think that would be a problem for you, did you order the kit from Thruhiker? Climashield and Momentum 90 oughta make a nice puffy vest.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    After really wanting to make an insulated jacket or vest for a long time, I bought an insulated jacket last night. Which did the trick. I'm taking it back today and am finally going to get going on a vest tonight.
    I'm in the process of making a hat. I figure I'll move from the top down. Maybe a vest is next (although I just bought a cheap down vest). Maybe an insulated neck gaitor, mittens/hand-covers, windproof waterproof over jacket, etc.

Where will you get your pattern for the insulated vest?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I like fleece and wool for clothing layers.

The puffy stuff is for sitting around the cook stove in the snow bank.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I did buy a $14.95 Traveler hammock on sale to use as a double bottom. Other than that everything related to hanging has been DIY. ( I confess, I have lusted after HH and Claytors in my heart. But my back pocket just won't cooperate!) And, with an underquilt the Traveler will be retired.

1st hammock 3 yds 1.9 ripstop with overhand knots on each end. Then I discovered Hammockforums.net and whiteblaze and Speer Hammocks. 2nd, asym cut 1.9 with whipping, 3rd, longer 1.9 with knots.

My first tarp was a big piece of Tyvek, 2nd was Ed's kit, plus his book. (Some "immigrants" were working in a housing development nearby. Using sign language, I asked if I could have some scrap tyveck. Eventually we were able to communicate and he cut me off a huge piece. Muchas gracias. Cost to me = $0.00.) 3rd tarp will be a maccat when the right fabric appears...

1st go round with suspension was tubular web from a local outfitter (actually old ski rope... until I started worrying about the trees.) Since then, descending rings, motorcycle tie down straps (minus cam buckles), 4mm climbing rope (12" loops on each end to hammock body), and climbing rated carabiners.

Sleeping bag from Boy Scout days will be replaced with homemade down quilt when all the pieces arrive (from Thru-hiker). $20.00 synthetic DIY underquilt for now. (Will probably keep using the beloved bag. We've been through a lot together.)

$2 / yd camo mosquito netting from wally for bug protection.

Homemade stuff sacks galore, one of which has holes in both ends, i.e. black bishop bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12