Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Any South Florida Hangers?

Over the last few months I have just really been getting into backpacking (ie. purchasing the equipment, researching methodology, contemplating strategy...), and as I was going through this process, I stumbled upon the ENO Doublenest online. I ordered it right away, seeing as it was one of the few hammocks that I felt comfortable with the weight limit of (seeing as I was a little over 300 pounds). I have since used it many times over at the Jupiter Inlet here in Jupiter Florida, hanging in between a couple of palm trees, watching the boats go in and out the inlet while reading a book. I have enjoyed it greatly, however I started to think that there must be ways of making it even easier and more enjoyable, as well as more suited to lightweight backpacking, so upon researching camping hammocks a bit more, I stumbled onto this forum a couple of days ago. Since then, I have probably spent about 10 hours on the forum looking around and learning unbelievable amounts of information about anything and everything about hammocks. I even went out today and purchased some AmSteel Blue from West Marine, and made myself some whoopie slings. I also just ordered a HH Explorer Deluxe A-Sym. Anyway, I guess what I mean to say is that I love the site, and I can't wait to learn a lot more. AND, back to my original topic of course, I was wondering if there were any south Florida Hangers that live around Palm Beach County, or if there was anybody who knew of any good spots to hang around here? I was looking in to the "Ocean to Lake" section of the Florida Trail, but I was wondering if anybody else had any good ideas for me, or any experience on that trail?

Hammock
    WB
    Tarp
    UGQ WD +2 pole mod
    Insulation
    Detail UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    mostly reliable!
    Images
    Welcome. Be careful, it can become an addiction. I'm sure you will find people and information in and around your area. I live in north Florida and enjoy hammock camping around here.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums cfisch9!
    I'm here in South Florida, Ft Myers area. I too am addicted to the forum and My gear addiction is having its way with my bank account.

I tent camped for many years, and also stumbled upon this site through backpacking links to here. The rest is history. I'm enjoying the sleep much better in my hammock. Best nights sleep ever outside.

A number of other forum members are talking of a 1st Annual Florida Hang meetup in January. Somewhere in the Ocala National Forest areas. We're going on a scouting hike the weekend of 10/23 - 10/24 to look for campsite locations where a larger group of hangers can meetup and make a long weekend of it.
    More details to come after that.

I learn something new on the forums every time I'm here. You will too I'm sure. Lots of friendly, helpful people out here.

-islander

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome cfisch9! I am also pretty new to this forum! I have an ENO DOUBLE and really like it, suits me! I am on the space coast of Fla. Looking forward to finally camping in it this Christmas in the Linville Gorge! Gonna be great!!

Have fun,
    Tbull

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I could definitely see spending many more hours into the future surfing the threads here. I am also very interested in that 1st Annual Florida Hang meetup in January , so I'll keep my eyes open for new posts about it.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm doing my best to help move along the Florida Hang into a reality for everyone interested. It should be a good time.
    More details to follow as soon as we return from scouting out locales in the ONF.
    You and anyone else is more than welcome to meet us there.
    Juniper Springs 10/23 Noon-Time.

-islander

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Checking in from BRM, that's Banana Republic of Miami. Heading out to Big Cypress in a few weeks to test my setup. I'm hoping it will be dry. An ONF hang would be very nice in January. Put me on the list.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I was wondering if there were any south Florida Hangers that live around Palm Beach County, or if there was anybody who knew of any good spots to hang around here?
    I live about 45 minutes north of you in Port St Lucie. I've heard a lot of people talk about Peanut Island as a cool place to go in your area. You would probably need to call to see if they allow hammocks though. If you go, let me know how it is.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to HF. I'm an hour south of you. Definitely come to the Florida hang in January.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Go2Stillwater View Post
    I live about 45 minutes north of you in Port St Lucie. I've heard a lot of people talk about Peanut Island as a cool place to go in your area. You would probably need to call to see if they allow hammocks though. If you go, let me know how it is.
    Thanks for the suggestion. From what I know about Peanut Island, it sounds like a good idea, however it can be a bit of a hassle. First of all, you need a boat to get there. Besides that, on the weekends it gets taken over by a bunch of party animals, you can practically walk from one boat to the next there are so many people there. Not that there is anything wrong with this, I have partied there many times myself, however it just doesn't seem like a nice relaxing place to camp out at. I also do not know if you can hang there. They have unfortunately torn down much of the vegetation to make way for sand volleyball courts and campsites on the beach, and so there are no trees in there designated campgrounds. I have however been doing a bit more research on locations near me, and I have found that Jonathan Dickinson State park could be a good spot to go (I plan on checking that out soon and taking some photos). I have also found that a portion of the Florida Trail http://www.floridatrail.org/ runs through Jupiter. It is called the "Ocean to Lake" portion of the Florida Trail, and it runs from Jonathan Dickinson State Park on the beach all the way to lake Okeechobee. A portion of it goes through Corbett State Wildlife Management Area just west of Jupiter. I believe they do allow camping there, and I plan on giving them a call and getting out there soon as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast