Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Jerseydave, i used a rectangular piece where my zippers stopped short of the ends of the hammock. That way the zipper doesn't get in the whipping just the rectangular piece.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Jerseydave, i used a rectangular piece where my zippers stopped short of the ends of the hammock. That way the zipper doesn't get in the whipping just the rectangular piece.
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once my materials get here and I begin to lay it out for real.

jd

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I'm not even finished with my first DIY BB and I have already started on a second and ordered camo ripstop for my third. The bug has me now.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I'm not even finished with my first DIY BB and I have already started on a second and ordered camo ripstop for my third. The bug has me now.
    Welcome to the club.
    We tried to schedule club meetings, but found that everyone is too busy making stuff.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I am a firm believer now that it is much cheaper to buy made gear than it is to DIY. If I bought a hammock I would have a hammock and ... well that's it. I would have my hammock. Instead I am now in the process of making 2.... more. Its funny how the DIY bug bites sometimes. Its great isn't it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=Jazilla;425679]I am a firm believer now that it is much cheaper to buy made gear than it is to DIY. If I bought a hammock I would have a hammock and ... well that's it. I would have my hammock. Instead I am now in the process of making 2.... more. Its funny how the DIY bug bites sometimes. Its great isn't it.[/QUOTE

There's a thread on this very topic, but yes... I could have purchased one WBBB, but instead I now have 3 hammocks for me and the 2 kids, I sold one my son outgrew, and made 3 others for friends...

I have some netting about, and my child - DIYBB is just waiting for me to find my zipper and get sewing...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello all. Found this site and decided to give this a go, because a hammock sounds so much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground during a bike trip up the west coast of Lake Michigan this summer. Anyway, first post and its a question... Lame, but I'm stymied.

So, this is what I did. I hemmed in the hammock and all the pieces. I am thinking that I should have left all the seems that will connect to other parts like the footbox, shelf and the 7" strip unhemmed and use a seeming technique to attach them. I don't suppose there is an issue with what I did here if my thread injector (love that guys) can handle it, but Ok, so here's my main question.

When I hemmed up the footbox, I lost a ton of length. The long end is now only 40". I cut it big knowing that I was hemming, but hemming on the triangle ends just ate up fabric (there is basically a 3" ear that protrudes from each side). The 90* sided come out to 28.5". Too small? Should I not hem them up first? What size was your initial footbox cut and what was the process you used to "finish" ends as you went? (my initial cut was 2" extra on all sides - 33" and 47")

Thanks all. Loving this idea, but I need some clarification before I go and screw this up further.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    When making a rolled hem, the goal is to make it about 1/4". This consumes 1/2" of material in the process from each end.

It's not a big deal, and really doesn't affect the lay of the hammock much, if at all... I have one with a smaller than 40" triangle, and it works great. The bigger the triangle, the more room you'll have between your feet and the bugnet...

Others may chime in and say I'm incorrect, but I think you'll be fine... Just trim the ears off, and sew it into your hammock. On mine, I used bartacks at the corners.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    When making a rolled hem, the goal is to make it about 1/4". This consumes 1/2" of material in the process from each end.
    Yeh, I did all the stitching on a really old singer from 1956 and I couldn't find any hemmer presser feet. Doing it by hand, it just made sense to do 1/2" hems and lose 1" of fabric. Just didn't account for the effect on an acute triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    It's not a big deal, and really doesn't affect the lay of the hammock much, if at all... I have one with a smaller than 40" triangle, and it works great. The bigger the triangle, the more room you'll have between your feet and the bugnet...
    Sounds reasonable enough. I do have extra fabric, so I might just give it another go as well. Can't work on it till later anyway.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    For those who have made this hammock, is it better with a gathered end via the channel, or the W method on HHs? Given the fact that the footbox/shelf side may be tight, I though the gather would help out... but curious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast