Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    lol catavarie, I couldn't even tell with the explanation in the auction, because it had 3 different weights in there. Had absolutely no clue which one the auction was for. I did mail her though, and she said the fabric is PU coated on one side. I'm assuming PU coated means that making a hammock out of it, would result in a lot of sweating right ? Which would mean in me having to look a bit further for uncoated ripstop.

@John - I'm almost 6', so I'll probably take you up on that length suggestion. I was already hanging from a 240cm (7.9feet) ridgeline which I thought was rather short, guess I could take that in a little more. And I also had my footend higher than my headend, but only with about 3 inches, not 6. I'll give that a go too.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Here I am again, asking about fabrics... again, I know, it's getting old.

How about these:
    http://ukfabricsonline.com/black-light-ripstop (hammockbody - weightwise I tend to hover between 145lbs and 154lbs) 50grams/square meters is about 1.5 ounces/square yard. I would go for a single layer. I chose 1.5oz ripstop based on the guide on the warbonnet website. I'm ok using 1.1 for a single layer, but 1.7 would be more comfortable. I went with 1.5 to choose the middle ground between comfort & weight.

http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/pro...lghg98n8caebb4 (overcover - and maybe the "strip" next to the entry zipper, I wonder if I can get away with using different "weights" for that...), not sure how much this fabric weighs, I've asked the seller though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my fabrics http://ukfabricsonline.com and/or http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk The first mainly has coated fabrics, except for that black one, which are not very useful right now. The second has a lot of ripstop, uncoated, but some weird widths, I'm having a hard time picking the right fabric.

I'd really like some colors that look pretty together, or at least have a nice contrast. Any help and/or suggestions are very very welcome in picking some good fabric from those sites for this hammock. Of course it would be better if I could pick both my fabrics from the same store. Would save me on shipping costs.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I hang on a single 1.1 and i'm 100kg. If weight is an issue (I.e you backpack) 1.1 should be fine, but 1.5 would be more durable.

Any uncoated fabric 1.1 or heavier should be ok.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks JohnSawyer. Your answer reassured me enough to decide that I'm going to go with the fabrics from the previous post (1.5 for the hammock body, 1.1 for the overcover). For me weight is an issue almost as much as comfort is. I'm willing to pack "some" additional weight if it means a substantial increase in comfort.

I can't figure out what a #3 or #5 zipper is in Europe though. A lot of stores here don't use that kind of numbering. So I'm not sure how "big" a zipper I'm supposed to get to be ok. Also there are coiled zippers and zippers with teeth and some others. Polyester zippers, plastic zippers and metal zippers. I honestly don't know which to pick. Just finding the right items to make a hammock here in Europe, is turning out to be a challenge.

Thanks for all the help so far, really appreciate it!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Go to http://www.therainshed.com/ , then to their zipper page and the lingks to informational pdfs.

Or http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippe...UR OWN ZIPPERS

Of course, archives here are searcheable for more.

I'll bet a DIY can assume some risks in taking care of his own gear and use than a mfg does not want to guarantee. So the lightest zipper for this low-load use would be fine. Warbonnet uses a #3 coil. (Clark uses #5.)

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thanks 4 the zipperhelp! & moving the zip to the outside of the side panel ?

I love this forum. Thanks DemostiX.

I had already read this page: http://www.questoutfitters.com/zipper_tips.htm

And another like it, but all that choice only made things more complex for me.

It's good to know that warbonnet uses a #3 coil zipper, and that that is apparently just "the lightest" zipper there is. As you said, it means I can get away with using that too. I'm going to see if ordering from the site you gave, is going to turn out cheaper than finding a store in Europe. I have to wait for them to send me a shipping quote. After that I'll decide. It would be convenient if it turns out to be an ok price, because ordering from a US store is the only way to be sure I get what is referred to as a #3.

EDIT: I think I may also contact Scott from diygearsupply, lots of people are also really happy with him and his prices look real good

I was also thinking of moving the zipper to the outside of the extra panel (the 10' x 8" side panel, in the pdf) instead of in between the extra panel and the hammock body. Thus making the extra panel an integral part of the hammock body. I want to do this, because I want to make a Papasmurf Dangerbird style removable overcover and bugnet incl. the bugnet-stuffsacks under storage triangles. It seems more logical to make those zip up at the edges of the hammock body, instead of having to attach that additional side panel to both the overcover & the bugnet. Is there any reason NOT to move the zipper to the outside of the hammock like described above ?
    Last edited by kreecher; 03-11-2012 at 16:28.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    All I have ever used has been #3 zippers from Scott and have not had a bad one yet. He sells great stuff and I highly recommend DIYgearsupply.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Adding more sag helps in the calf pressure, as does shifting your head a little to the foot-side when laying diagonally...

Also, make sure the foot end is higher than the head end by at least 6"...

If you're going DIY, and you're 6' (like me,) I'd make the hammock from an 11' piece of fabric. 11' is really comfy...
    I've found that if you shift the fabric under your butt it will effect calf pressure. My guess is when John moves is head towards his feet his butt moves too and that's what the fabric under the calves is reacting to.

I've hung with the foot end higher but I haven't noted that effect. What that definitely does do is keep you from sliding towards the foot end so much, which you do because your center of gravity is above your midline. Now I'm curious and I'm gonna have to experiment with the higher foot end again myself...

Another thing I do sometimes when I sleep on my back is cross my inside leg over the outer one. That will eliminate any pressure whatsoever.

I will second the 11 ft recommendation.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lots of thank yous!

Jazilla, I ended up going with Scott from Diygearsupply. Great service, already have my noseeum & zippers (n° 3's, thx demostix ). Got some grosgrain from elsewhere and am still waiting on the ripstop fabrics.

I'm using the 1.5 for the hammock body for added durability (thx John), but am using the 1.1 for the overcover.

And another thx to John and also Morganser for helping me decide on length, 11' it will be.

Guess I'm really making me a hammock.

Haven't gone out to test the eno again, but have noted all the tips:
    x foot end 6 inch higher
    x cross one leg over the other
    x shift fabric under the butt and/or move the head more towards the feet
    x shorten ridge line even further

Next week I'm off camping again, but that will be with the chrysalis.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
    or move the head more towards the feet
    Sounds painful
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast