WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

Tate Branch, Tallulah Gorge

I spent a few days at the Tate Branch campground in the Coleman River Scenic Area near Tallulah Gorge. A few of the guys at my church organized the gathering, and we eventually had 20+ in attendance.

I walked the campground and noticed two other hammocks on-site. One was an ENO DoubleNest with the ENO tarp, the other was unfamiliar to me. It seemed to be a minimalist, single layer number with no manufacturer indicated on it.

Days were in the low to mid 70s and nights were in the mid 30s. The nighttime temps proved to me that I am a COLD sleeper. I brought Mac's IX UQ, my knock-off version of the IX UQ, and my SPE. After the first evening I had set up my hammock with all of the insulation I could put in place. The second night was much better, and I actually had to vent my top quilt.

I was also able to test out my Chinook 12x14 tarp. It fit in the skins that I had used for my Guide Gear 12x12 tarp. A search of the DIY section should turn up the plans I used. Basically a tube going from 3.5” to about 8.5”in diameter. Since I'm a car camper I don't mind the extra weight, and it's handy to have in case of bad weather. The new tarp is, in the words of one of my friends, “gihugeamagantic”. Plenty of room for a covered front porch area, and can be fully closed if necessary.

Although the nights were cold, we had zero humidity and completely clear skies so I ended up furling the tarp on the second day and enjoyed being able to see the moon and stars at night. Absolutely beautiful!

Here's a few shots of my setup:

Last edited by Strapped-4-Cache; 10-17-2010 at 16:12. Reason: pic issues

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Always like it when you can set up your hammock overlooking water.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Love those temps ... sounds like a great weekend.
    Mighty pretty place to hang ... but if there'd been a rain storm that ditch under your hammock might have gotta bit exciting!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Love those temps ... sounds like a great weekend.
    Mighty pretty place to hang ... but if there'd been a rain storm that ditch under your hammock might have gotta bit exciting!
    Believe me, if rain had been anywhere in the forecast I'd have placed the hammock somewhere else. The river was WAY down since we haven't had steady rain in a while. Normally where I was hanging would be almost over the water instead of next to it and above it by a few feet. I tied off the lower edge of my tarp to a rock that is normally underwater at least a foot or more.

Last April we camped in this area and had heavy rain on and off. At that time the river was at least two feet deeper and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to that hanging spot. If I have to choose between clear an cold or warm and wet, I'll choose the cold every time.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    Believe me, if rain had been anywhere in the forecast I'd have placed the hammock somewhere else. The river was WAY down since we haven't had steady rain in a while. Normally where I was hanging would be almost over the water instead of next to it and above it by a few feet. I tied off the lower edge of my tarp to a rock that is normally underwater at least a foot or more.

Last April we camped in this area and had heavy rain on and off. At that time the river was at least two feet deeper and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to that hanging spot. If I have to choose between clear an cold or warm and wet, I'll choose the cold every time.
    Seeing that up in NC before I left ... hope there's been some rain since then. Sure is sweet hanging by a stream ... you can practice Observational Hydrological Engineering . The advanced degree requires lolly gagging by rivers and creeks much more than I get the chance to do!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great report and pictures.
    Terry

Thanks for the review.

I have been over the gorge a couple times, but no time to stop. Looks nice.

have a good'un

cutter

• + New Posts