Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose

Who in Omaha does this belong to?

I was on a campout with a group of scouts at Two Rivers State Park near Omaha and came across this setup but I was unable to find out who owned it. So I was wondering if anyone here claimed it. Its always nice to find a fellow hanger!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I'm close but it's not mine.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Who ever it belongs to is really tall! How did they hang the staps that high? I dunno, maybe I'm just short...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Your right, it seems like they were hung pretty high. I believe they were using Dutch clips but since they were not there I didn't go too close.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Looks like Dutch clips to me, too - look at the left tree. As for height, hiking poles make a good extension to push the straps further up the tree, I'm told...
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images

An exercise in the psychology of hanging

The bad news is that, as impossible as it may seem , there are hangers who are not on this forum, and so we may never find out who this individual is. However, because I am a cup-is-half-full kind of guy, it occurs to me that this could be an interesting exercise into the psychology of hanging. What can we deduce about this mysterious hanger based upon the gear we see in the photos? I’ll go first…

Let me start off by saying that I have read all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries and am a self-trained student in the art of observation, so naturally that puts me at an advantage. However, since I am new to hanging I will obviously miss valuable clues that our veteran hangers will pick up on, so let’s consider the playing field even, shall we?

Certain aspects suggest to the trained eye that our hanger is a male—universal love of camo being one of the greatest. Notice, also, the straps are left hanging to the ground rather than nicely tucked away and out of sight. If this were my wife (who is a woman) the straps would have been cleverly used to help beautify the site, and would be sporting some potted plants, or recreated paintings of Van Gogh. Also there is a Spartan simplicity of design. On the other hand, Men do not corner the market on camo, and there is an aesthetic beauty and symmetry in the rigging and set up of this camp. I’ll reserve my judgment for the end of my post.

Our hanger could very well be tall, as mentioned earlier, but could also very well have pushed the straps up with his/her poles as MikeN cleverly suggests. I have my own thoughts on this which I will share later.

This is a moderately expensive set-up so the hanger could be retired with no children left at home to support, and thus able to buy nice things. Could also be a younger hanger with room and board paid by mom and dad, and thus is able to buy nice things. Could also be a well-to-do-family guy who can afford to buy nice things. Again, judgment reserved for the end.

This hanger is either a rugged individualist who is extremely trusting (as indicated by the single hammock and lack of said hanger’s presence), or could be with a group of hangers who, because they can set up and tear down a camp in under two minutes, took their gear with them. Our hanger, then, is either too lazy to take the rig down, or does not see the need to because of a trusting nature even though her/his camp-mates did not share the mystery hanger's opinion.

My conclusion: our mystery hanger is a male, or quite possibly a female, between the ages of 17-75 years old. He (or she) is probably between 4’5”-6’5”, but may be taller or shorter. She (or he) most likely camped alone, or with a group of people that may or may not have been the family that he (or she) might or might not have had. But most telling of all, the lack of this hanger’s presence is suggestive that some form of foul play has occurred—perhaps coming to harm from a natural or even a human predator. Or maybe she (or he) was just out hiking.

I don’t mean to brag, but I am usually accurate close to 90% of the time, and I feel that I am spot-on for this particular case (or at least very close to spot-on). But don’t let this stop you. What are the hammock things that I have missed that you can incorporate into my, otherwise, thorough examination of our subject?

Ps—if our hanger has become victim of foul play… dibs on his (or her) stuff (after this exercise, I feel a closeness to our hanger, and am pretty sure that she (or he) would have wanted it this way).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To quote the late, great Emily Litella.... "Never mind."
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    To quote the late, great Emily Litella.... "Never mind."

I miss Gilda!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    What can we deduce about this mysterious hanger based upon the gear we see in the photos? I’ll go first…

Let me start off by saying that I have read all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries

[...]

Certain aspects suggest to the trained eye that our hanger is a male—universal love of camo being one of the greatest. Notice, also, the straps are left hanging to the ground rather than nicely tucked away and out of sight. If this were my wife (who is a woman) the straps would have been cleverly used to help beautify the site, and would be sporting some potted plants, or recreated paintings of Van Gogh.
    That sounds about like a typical Holmes-ian deduction process. I'm a big fan of sherlock holmes myself but sometimes I can't help but find the Victorian-era logic humorous!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Very well stated! Since I was a short distance from the location and I, having higher ground, can safely say that this individual was by themselves. In other words NO other hangers in the area accept me, 1 scout and a scout master. There it the possibility that the body was in the hammock and the dutch clips were working well! I agree it is a nice setup in fact someone compared that one to mine and made me feel bad..

No, I never entered the camp but my prying eye did!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast