How do I tell what kind of fabric this is????

I bought fabric at wally world but its not the gray stuff...its digital camo and I am purdy sure its backed.

I remember there was a thread that told what it would do it burned but cant find it now....any help????

Thank you!!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that's PU coated nylon. I have made three tarps out of it and still have some more to use. A little heavy, but very effective.

Jbo

This stuff seems light....its got the rip stop grid and the back is kinda rubbery but thin. Which fabrics burn/melt etc.....I was looking for it and still haven't found it anywhere.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling

Fiber burn chart

Here ya go! :-)
    fabricburnchart.gif

Be aware though, there are blends of fabrics that can make things confusing (think of a poly/cotton blend, or PU coated nylon).

Good luck,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    Here ya go! :-)
    fabricburnchart.gif

Be aware though, there are blends of fabrics that can make things confusing (think of a poly/cotton blend, or PU coated nylon).

Good luck,
    Acer
    Thank you...according to the chart its Nylon....what would the backing burn look like.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I have no idea, I haven't bothered burning any of the coated fabrics I've got. I got a bolt of fabric at a walmart a while back, thinking it was polyester, but checked it with the chart, and it turned out to be a wool blend of some sort, polyester best I could tell by burning.
    Point is, if it doesn't match up with the burn chart one way or another, you may have a blend on your hands. That's all.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Well it holds water....I put it up on my laundry line and filled it with about 5 gallons of water and its holding it with no drips or even the slightest wetness.

I looked at the other green wally world rip stop looking stuff and it was thicker than it and has the rubberyish back.....I hope it is usefull cause I just went and bought the rest of the bolt lol

Thanks for the info acercanto

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I've picked up two types of digital camo from Walmart. One type is very rubbery and not exactly light weight. It would make a great tarp, but it's easily twice the weight of typical Silnylon.

The other type almost looks like a cotton blend with a heavy PU coating on the back. It's got a cloth-like texture on the face, and the back is clearly PU coated. It's more than 3.0oz per yard.

What I have is sorta thin with a very light coating....for 4 1/2 yards (its 65 wide) it weighs about 22 ozs (best I can do with my scale ... could be more or less ... scale is iffy lol).

• + New Posts