Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    and another thing to think of is some states only let you kill so many per year.....so unless you have a few friends to help you out it could take you a few years to havest the Down
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    one thing you got to think of is how many you will need...and you will need a good bit just to make one UQ ....
    you figureat least 8-10oz of down for each quilt thats alot of geese
    and don't forget a goose is not all down...there are alot more feathers then down on an animal
    800 fill down had hardly no feathers in it ...... so you got to factor that in as well

in the end after you pay for the shells and the tags to hunt the geese...it would be cheaper to buy down since you can get it for only 6.50 an oz

After I get some of the "green", I am going to buy down for a DIY full UQ. Will see what I end up with after hunting season is done, may have to wait until next year. But would still like to make my own, with down I collected

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I say try it out...and see what you get
    but only count the clean down...not the stems or the feathers

also don't forget if it's a body shot....your going to loose some down as well

let us know what you come up with at the end of the year

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    RR72 from what i can find ....you can get a half an oz of clean down from a small goose....so after cleaning it up...you probly looking at .25 oz a bird don't forget you are going to drop some while harvesting...and will also loose some from the kill shot

so you lookng at close to if not more then 40 small geese and probly around 15-20 large geese .....to make one UQ
    with CLEAN down ...no feathers or stems

i guess thats why it cost some much per oz LOL

Hammock
    Nano7, HB No-See-Um-No-More
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    Yeah, I realize this would be a really inefficient and time consuming way to acquire down; I'm interested in the idea mainly from a self-sufficiency/survivalist perspective more than a practical one. I like the notion of DIY all the way from the raw materials up to the finished product. My grandfather was a lifelong duck hunter, but he never took us kids so I don't know the first thing about it. It seems like a pretty challenging sport, and certainly inspires obsession ( abit like hammocking ) I own one of his 12 gauges, an Ithaca that is in really nice shape, and I've played with the idea of taking a hunter safety course and getting the stamp one of these years. The only thing is, between hiking, fishing, trail running, snowshoeing, hashing and hammocks I've already got enough hobbies. One more might be the last straw for my gal....

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatland View Post
    Yeah, I realize this would be a really inefficient and time consuming way to acquire down; I'm interested in the idea mainly from a self-sufficiency/survivalist perspective more than a practical one. I like the notion of DIY all the way from the raw materials up to the finished product. My grandfather was a lifelong duck hunter, but he never took us kids so I don't know the first thing about it. It seems like a pretty challenging sport, and certainly inspires obsession ( abit like hammocking ) I own one of his 12 gauges, an Ithaca that is in really nice shape, and I've played with the idea of taking a hunter safety course and getting the stamp one of these years. The only thing is, between hiking, fishing, trail running, snowshoeing, hashing and hammocks I've already got enough hobbies. One more might be the last straw for my gal....
    I still think it would be a cool for someone to try it and see how much they can get in a year span ........ would be good to know for a Self-Sufficient life style or survival .....
    even if you only get a few oz...you can mix that with vendor down and save you a few $$$ ....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12