Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Academy Sports sells tent pole shock cord repair kit with a roll of 1/8" shock cord (white). Don't recall how many feet (50 maybe) but I have used it for numerous projects includein tie outs for two Speer type hammocks and I still have plenty.

If I were to add side tie-outs to one of my hammocks what would be the best location: middle of the hammock, near head, shoulder area, etc...?

I played around with tie-outs on my Speer, and they were effective. I sewed grosgrain loops just below the head and foot positions, and one at center , equally spaced. I sewed them BELOW the bug net Velcro, and added a small square of grosgrain on the inside of the hammock to reinforce the stitching. It worked well, but I decided that I didn't like a tie out in the center, right in the way of swinging my feet out. Especially for the midnight nature calls on those black as ink nights. After playing around with a couple of ideas, what I ended up liking was to tie 3/32 shock cord to the loops at the head and foot loops (fixed knot) and passing it under the hammock to the other side (quick release bow or a mitten hook). This spreads the hammock sides enough to improve ventilation, and gets rid of that closed in feeling. Plus, it weighs practically nothing and is as simple as can be. Just the one at the head position is often enough, but doing the foot one too opens it up a bit more. The center one was less effective; too much mass & tension to deal with there. I really don't feel the shock cord either. That may vary with heavier cord.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I now have 3 DIY Speer-type hammocks. I love them and they are very comfortable, but they have what I am calling "the Taco syndrome". Once you lay in them the sides kinda come up and fold over inside the hammock and it ends up looking like a taco shell..
    Thoughts and comments?
    what i`ve done is make my hammocks a lot more narrow... 48-50".
    i still have enough wall on the sides that i don`t feel any danger of falling out.
    another thing i did was use one of my treking poles as a spreader bar above the head. i sewed a small sac on one side to hold the handle of the pole & a short pice of 3/4" webbing with a grommet in the center on the other to accept the point of the pole.
    this didn`t work the same as the spreader bars on store bought hammocks, causing it to be unstable. it works sorta like if you would reach up above your head while laying in the hammock & grab the top on each side & spread them apart several inches. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    If you want even more roominess why stop at two side tie outs.

I bet 4 tie-outs would rock!
    I might try it on my next DIY hammock project.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    4 tie-outs may be a little bit of overkill for me, but I would like to see pics of that setup if you try it out.

slowhike,

I like my hammocks to be wide as possible. It makes them more comfortable. I have a hammock that is kinda narrow and if I use it with my Big Agnes Air Core pad it kinda gives me the feeling that I may fall out because I am sitting up higher in the hammock. I don't think I would fall out, it just has that feeling.

Images
    You could use 2 side tieouts connect them with one cord, then tie out that one cord. That way you sould only need 1 tie out point.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

slowhike,

I like my hammocks to be wide as possible. It makes them more comfortable. I have a hammock that is kinda narrow and if I use it with my Big Agnes Air Core pad it kinda gives me the feeling that I may fall out because I am sitting up higher in the hammock. I don't think I would fall out, it just has that feeling.
    i use a BA insulated air core in the warmer months & an exped DAM when it`s cooler. i only use them partly inflated so they conform & cradle better, but i do use them in the narrow hammocks.
    i guess there is a little less of a secure feeling, & i suppose if i were to roll over really hard i could roll out of the hammock, but i don`t think it`s to likely (knock on wood<G>).
    i guess it helps that i sleep in one at home... i`ve spent all but a couple nights in a hammock since spring of 05, so i guess i know i`m in a hammock... even when i`m asleep<G>. ..tim
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-16-2006 at 17:24. Reason: fixed quote
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/...ng%20Lines.htm

Rubber elastic tubes are found at medical supply places and are also sold as elastics for wham-o sling shots! You can also use shockcordtake a piece about a foot long and tie each end to the tie-out cord so that a loop of shockcord hangs down. (That's probably not clear, sorry).

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/...ng%20Lines.htm

Rubber elastic tubes are found at medical supply places and are also sold as elastics for wham-o sling shots! You can also use shockcordtake a piece about a foot long and tie each end to the tie-out cord so that a loop of shockcord hangs down. (That's probably not clear, sorry).
    You are talking about autotensioners, also know as tarp tensioners. I have made several of those. I used surgical tubing and the 2mm climbing rope with the reflective yarn so I don't trip over them at night.

JJ has a tutorial on his site that shows you how to make them. I mainly use mine with my Cloudburst2 (The horror! Blasphemy! A tent! ).

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

tie outs

On my big speer type homemade (118 x 57 inch) when I get diagonal, the outer edge of the hammock tightens up and hold me up just fine.

Before I get in position against the edge, It feels like it will dump me, but it never does. Once I am in position, things feel stable. I don't see what benefit the tieouts would be.

For reference, my inside shoulder is outside of the centerline (about 18 inches to the outside of me) , my hips are about on center and my feet 18 inches to 2 feet off center on the other side.

Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12