Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Winter UQ in the Summer?

I'm about to ask a serious newbie question. I'm loking at possibly getting a full-length winter uq (possibly the winter incubator from Stormcrow), but I camp in weather ranging from quite mild to well below freezing. My question is whether or not a winter uq will still work well (albeit over-kill) in warmer weather (high 40s)? I would expect you could simply adjust how snugly it fits and be fine. I just don't have the cash for a winter AND a 3-season uq. Perhaps in the future I will add a 3/4 length 3-season uq, but for now I need something good to at least 15*F. Although this will go on my current ENO single nest, I am considering upgrading hammocks...possibly to a WBBB. Any problem with the diagonal lay?

Images
    my son uses my mt washinton (zero) in summer with no problem. he uses a poncho liner as a blanket on 60 degree nights
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakozacho View Post
    . . . .in the future I will add a 3/4 length 3-season uq, but for now I need something good to at least 15*F.
    A 3 season Crowsnest upgraded to 900 fp down is a 3/4 length UQ that will get you to 15*F. Augment this with a good layering system and you're sure to be able to go lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakozacho View Post
    . . . .I am considering upgrading hammocks...possibly to a WBBB. Any problem with the diagonal lay?
    Nope.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    For me, useing the winter crows nest in 40 degrees and above reguardless of how much I tried to vent it still found that I slept un-comfortably hot and I am a cold sleeper. The 3 seasons is a great option either full or 3/4.

And I love my WBBB, the diagonal lay is great, plenty of room, never had any issues getting comfy in it. It does however take a few tries to get the sag right but once you have an idea of how much you want your ridgeline to sag, you get a pretty consistant lay each time.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    The bigger problem I see with a winter quilt in warm temps is the unnecessary bulk and weight. I would think you could always vent it as much as necessary.

This is coming from a guy who only recently acquired a winter quilt and who has only used it in cold temps.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Try opening the windows....DIY rectangular quilts like the standard JRB's, the 48 inch widths, are easily vented...You might like to review the article "Nesting tricks of an Old Coot"... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Nesting%...Old%20Coot.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    A 3 season Crowsnest upgraded to 900 fp down is a 3/4 length UQ that will get you to 15*F. Augment this with a good layering system and you're sure to be able to go lower.
    I took Hooch's advice and ordered that exact UQ yesterday. I believe it'll be perfect for me.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My UQ suspension is very adjustable, as in: I can hang the UQ at least 1' under my hammock if need be. So My 30 degree 3/4 length UQ goes with me regardless of the weather. AND, I sleep HOT So being able to carry my quilt regardless, makes packing easier, & the UQ is "Permanently" attached to the hammock.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I took Hooch's advice and ordered that exact UQ yesterday. I believe it'll be perfect for me.
    Good choice in quilts, you cant go wrong with any of the vendors here on HF. But beware, as soon as you recieve your 3 seasons crows nest youll want a winter one, a summer one, a JRB Mt Wash 3-4 and on and on and on it goes. Enjoy the woods with your new quilt.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My possible plan is to get an Incubator for late fall, early spring and the dead of winter. A single IX UQ suits my needs at all other times, which is when the vast majority of my hammocking takes place anyway. I have to believe the Incubator would be overkill in any temp above the 30s but when you need it....you need it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast