Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Scott, could you share some details on your overcover, please?
    It is a separate piece, made to the same size specs as the related insulator (UQ or TQ). I used shell material of 1.1oz ripstop on one side only (outside).
    UQ IX is attached with it's own shock cord suspension. I may use velcro or snaps next time to attach to UQ.
    TQ IX is attached to the TQ with snaps (velcro would be great too). It actually doesn't need to be attached at all if built right.

Use one or two layers of IX. Three would be too much, and work better as it's own unit rather than as a suplement.

I'll probably post directions on a three layer, differentially cut IX only UQ shortly - I've made that and it is rather toasty as well. Rolls up to just a hair larger than my 3oz climashield UQ, and is definitely warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    My testing showed about a 5-10 degree temp boost with a layer of IX outside the climashield, but a 25-40% reduction in compressibility of the quilts. That is a big change on a climasheild quilt, more than I liked. A Lost River 1S without IX can pack to about the size of a 1 litter nalgeen, with it you are looking at closer to a soccer ball or there about. A full lenght quilt was worse as it restricts the small pockets that would normally squish flat but are being stiffened with the IX in place.
    Paul's right on here (as is is everywhere). IX is not compressible, climashield is. This is why I prefer that they be separate units, not combined. IX alone can roll up nicely, and climashield alone can squish down nicely. Separately also gives more flexibility to the system, though there is a tiny bit of added weight doing them separately as opposed to permanently integrated - so pick your poison.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I used a Speer Top Blanket nested inside an IX TQ last weekend... works very well, and needs no fastenings between the two.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I'll probably post directions on a three layer, differentially cut IX only UQ shortly - I've made that and it is rather toasty as well. Rolls up to just a hair larger than my 3oz climashield UQ, and is definitely warmer.
    As promised.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    It is a separate piece, made to the same size specs as the related insulator (UQ or TQ). I used shell material of 1.1oz ripstop on one side only (outside).
    UQ IX is attached with it's own shock cord suspension. I may use velcro or snaps next time to attach to UQ.

Use one or two layers of IX. Three would be too much, and work better as it's own unit rather than as a suplement.
    I have two questions pertaining to this. First, if you do two layers of IX in this application, should they be slightly differentially cut? How about the nylon shell layer? Same size as the final IX layer?

Second, assuming you size it like you suggest to match the size of the UQ it is covering, and the UQ has drawcords to cinch up the ends to close the air gap at head and foot ends, how do you account for that in the IX cover, so as not to end up with a gap? I wouldn't think that IX would gather the same way ripstop filled with CS will gather when used with a head/foot drawcord.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have been briefly experimenting with adding a layer of IX to one or more layers of CS which I add and subtract from my WB CS " Yeti". That will be inside the nylon shell, though I have thought about wrapping it around the shell. I just suspect this has great potential.
    Please keep us posted on this endeavour. I'll PM you down the road, since I'm one of the lucky few besides yourself to own one of these syn-yeti contraptions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123