HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies

UQ supplement?

Okay guys I'm pushing my limits as a cold sleeper using my JRB Nest were it may get down to the 20's at night. Question is what type of light weight material would be best to use to keep my bottom side warm?
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A space blanket would work just fine, as well as a CCF pad, either full or partial langth, depending on where the cold is getting you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Would it work better directly under me or between the hammock and quilt? Do you think insultex would work also?
    Last edited by Wa-Hangman; 10-19-2010 at 10:00. Reason: Missspell
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    I was thinking my JRB weathershield might give me a few degrees. Also would my down jacket placed in-between hammock and UQ help more than wearing it for upper body insulation?
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    I found the JRB weathershield helped but I am reluctant to try to quantify it - no idea how people say things like "weathershield add xx*F"

IMO, the weathershield reduces the heat loss due to convection [wind] as opposed to the material itself having any real insulating properties.

Also, the first thing I would suggest is to pitch your tarp in a "winter configuration" - edges as close to ground as possible and ends as closed as possible.

After that, it is the usual suspects - ccf pad, inflatable pad, fleece liner, insultex, space blanket, a second UQ

EDIT - just saw down jacket note.....definately place that in there bet hammock and UQ, try to rig it so that neither the jacket nor the UQ are compressed
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Thanks for advice tjm. I'll definitely have to pitch my tarp in that configuration. I wonder if reflectix is an option too?
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    insultex- ive heard get results with a single layer even more with two (obv).

i forget who but i know one of the vendors sells it by the yard on here.
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    insultex- ive heard get results with a single layer even more with two (obv).

i forget who but i know one of the vendors sells it by the yard on here.
    I've had really great results with Insultex as a top and bottom quilt temp booster. A single or double layer of IX on the outside of your quilt turns a moderate weather quilt into a real scorcher!

IX on the outside dose such a great job of (nearly) eliminating heat loss from your quilt that the quilt builds up much more heat than normal.

It would work between you and quilt as well, but in my experience, not nearly as well.

A nice IX overcover is a great way to turn any three season quilt into a hearty four season quilt - and when it warms again, just leave the IX at home and you're not carrying the extra weight.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I've had really great results with Insultex as a top and bottom quilt temp booster. A single or double layer of IX on the outside of your quilt turns a moderate weather quilt into a real scorcher!

IX on the outside dose such a great job of (nearly) eliminating heat loss from your quilt that the quilt builds up much more heat than normal.

It would work between you and quilt as well, but in my experience, not nearly as well.

A nice IX overcover is a great way to turn any three season quilt into a hearty four season quilt - and when it warms again, just leave the IX at home and you're not carrying the extra weight.

In your experience how much does it boost? Three season to Four would be around 20 degrees? is that correct?

if so could someone buy a summer underquilt full lenght and expect to be able to reach three season UQ temps? just asking for sake of discussion.

"drit"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    In your experience how much does it boost? Three season to Four would be around 20 degrees? is that correct?

if so could someone buy a summer underquilt full lenght and expect to be able to reach three season UQ temps? just asking for sake of discussion.

"drit"
    I used this setup last spring on Blueberry Mountain in Maine (Spring in Maine = The dead of Winter most other places). It snowed 8", and temps were in mid to low 20's overnight.
    BlueberyMnt -20100417-1544.jpg

Equipment -
    UQ: DIY Climashield (1 layer of 3oz material)
    IX: 1 layer overcover
    UQ-IX 3.jpg

TQ: DIY Climashield (1 layer of 3oz material)
    IX: 2 layer overcover
    TQ-IX 6.jpg

Me? I was toasty warm while everyone else either left at midnight to trek back to the cabin or shivered all night. I did wear decent base layer clothing (fleece pants and shirt). I'm not sure I needed it, but I didn't feel like removing it either.
    BlueberyMnt -20100417-1424.jpg

I wouldn't call a single layer of 3oz Climashield a 3-Season quilt - more of a two season. So I think the IX did a tremendous job in conjunction with the climashield (personally, I think a multi-component system like this is ideal, offering many options for varying temperatures).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast