Thread: Hello eh?

Hello eh?

So here's my story. I was doing some hunting last winter and I stumbled upon a campsite near the edge of the hunting area. Concerned about this fellow and his location, I went to talk to him to let him know he was in danger of being shot at. So I step to his campsite and there's no one around, strange thing is there is no tent. I start muttering aloud and hear a faint reply. I turn and this teenager is tucked behind some trees inside a hammock! Naturally I was shocked that a hammock would be used in -30 celcius, so I ask him about it and he tells me all about the world of hammocks. I tried his out and (aside from a weird smell) it was fantastic. I've been hooked ever since. The worst part though, was I later found out that this guy was on the run from the police. I had been near the end of a 1 month hunting trip and didn't receive any form of news. I got lucky there.

Anyone else from Canada with cold weather hanging tips?
    I was not properly relaxing until I found hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey welcome to the forum from the other side of the rockies. You might want to mention what you have in the way of hammock equipment now, that might help but at -35 that's big cold. I haven't done any winter camping yet but hope to do a bit this yr but it won't be in temps like that. If you don't have any gear a couple of things to keep in mind are pitching your tarp low so as to keep any winds from sucking the warmth from under you. You might want to pile snow at the bottom edge of the tarp for the same reason. You might want to get a big tarp to accomplish this and you might want to have doors sewn on or get Grizz beaks, both of which can be looked at at 2QZQ. You'll want a very good Underquilt , probably custom, but some other folks will chime in here who have some real winter camp experience. The folks in the Minn., Wisc., and Mich., areas know about cold also, not just Canucks. Good luck putting it all together.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome!

I have a brother who just moved from Winnipeg to Halifax. He made the winters in Manitoba sound like hell frozen over, so a great kit will be a must. Good luck!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. With a little poking about you will find lots of cold weather hanging tips here on the forums,
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Web and Woopie
    Images

Convict!!!

Glad you scaped by there! Isn't it funny how each of us got into hammocking? I started out just trying to get a stove (light-weight) to heat up some coffee, purify water at Tinny's Youtube site and I heard the name "Shug." I looked him up and BAM! My heart sunk, my brain swarmed, my wallet was lightened, joined hammock forums, and am out to meet the HF members next week in the Linville Gorge!

Great to have you! This site is full of great info. Take a look around and you will see what I mean.

Tally Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Airborne
    ------------
    When a WBBB Is Turned Into a Slingshot

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter beast sys.
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Welcome to the forums. I did my first winter camping in a hammock last year. The coldest it got was -16 c but I expect your going to see colder temps in Winterpeg.
    Here is a thread from Beep that covers a lot of info you might need.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=beep+winter

Mick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/micklynx/

“You cannot depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus”

Mark Twain

• + New Posts