Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

Dutch-biner Use

Okay boys and girls,

Since recieving my pair of Dutch biners my wittle brain has been firing on most cylinders and this is what I did with mine.

First off it is important to take note that I am a wittle shorter than most others that hang out in the woods, I prefer a low hang so that my feet can touch the ground (but than can mean ground splatter when it rains), I wuv to sit in my hammock and swing, and I would prefer not to get "clothes-lined" by the Structoral ridgeline, soooo...
    I have used my Dutch biners to create a removeable Adjustable Ridge line, and also added a slack-line to my hammock with the help of the Dutch biners.

Smokebait at Whoopiesling.com was nice enough to make an extra long adjustable ridge line for me and two continous loops. By simply larksheading the continous loops to my hammock and then installing the Dutch biners, and then connecting my extra long ASRL/whoopiesling, I am able to remove the SRL altogether when sitting, or just make the SRL longer and let it hang on the side of my hammock as a slackline and create a footrest for swinging in the hammock while sitting sideways.

It has allowed me to hang higher off the ground (no more required weather shield to prevent ground splatter), no more stooping over under a low tarp, no more clothes lining, and it is much easier and comfortable to lollygag. I can leave my 2Q/ZQ organizer connected when used as a slackline/footrest, and just because I'm short it doesn't mean I have to hang low to the ground.

By installing the dutch biners and continous loops I can play the guitar string/ridgeline to my hearts content and don't have to worry about it fraying or causing any damage to the end of the hammock.

It works like a dream and makes my lollygagging time much more comfortable and most enjoyable.

Three suggested names are:
    1. The Barefoot Rig
    2. Barefooting
    3. The Lollygag line

Thanks for helping me out Smokebait!

What do you think of that stuff....HawkEye (aka..Mr. Slacker)?
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 10-19-2010 at 21:45.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am having made some special mini Dutch Biners just for removable ridgelines. They were the first Dutch Biner design, but they fell a little short (no offense to you shorty) on the load lift. However they work great for removable ridge line. Pm me your addy and I will send you one. I am having a batch made and they will be done in about 2 weeks. You will be one of the very few that will have these beauties as they are not for sale, just for fun.
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-20-2010 at 14:55.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Wally World
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Huggers
    I want one! haha
    "People accept the reality with which they are presented."

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I'll have to re-read that a few times and hope that it will make sense.

What I'd like to know is whether this could work as an adjustable ridgeline for my Switchback. I'm not sure why, but there's some reason why I couldn't order one...some mod needed.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    I'll have to re-read that a few times and hope that it will make sense.

What I'd like to know is whether this could work as an adjustable ridgeline for my Switchback. I'm not sure why, but there's some reason why I couldn't order one...some mod needed.
    I only have one switchback, but it doesn't have a structural ridgeline. It has bungee to hold up the bugnet. I have thought about adding an external RL taht is outside of the bugnet. Now the HH or the BB have structural ridgelines are it would be nice to disconnect them from time to time. Standard mini biners such as from the HF store will not really be strong enough. SO to answer your question I don't think you can readily add one b/c the ends of the hammock are not as high as the bugnet. However I havent figured out what is so different with the SB.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Hey Dutch,
    PM sent your way dude.
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    With all of the discussion about whether to have an "Over" the tarp ridgeline or to have a "Under" the tarp ridgeline...I thought why not have the option of having both at the same time.

Since one of my tarps is an OGee tarp and it works best to have an "Over" so that you can quickly change set up configuration, I thought if you use Dutchbiners you could add an "Under" very quickly and remove it also. All you have to do is attach the Dutchbiner to the "Over" ridgeline tarp attachment point and attach your "Under" ridgeline to the biner. This way you can have the benefits the "Under" ridgeline provides and at the same time keep the "Over" ridgeline in place. I am an "Over" type, but in the winter I could see using an "Under" also and have the added loadbearing benifit and clothesline also.

I call the setup my "Over and Under Rig" just like my .410/22 Over and Under shotgun that I inherited from me daddy.

Like Shug always says...."It's all about the options man".
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 10-20-2010 at 20:18.
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts