Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Question Whats the purpose of a RL

OK I know "to get a consistent sag" every time. But I am just not satisfied with that answer.

As I am laying in my WBBB and looking at this sagging RL that I can bend into a 90* angle with my hands I begin to wonder what is your purpose, how do you work because your sagging and not tight, how do I adjust you. so on and so forth. Obviously it will come in handy when it comes time to hang stuff up like a head lamp, bandanna, etc.

To me it seems like a line of cord (amsteel?) running through some cloth...so how does this dictate sag? Or is running through and then comes out the end and wraps around the gathered end, ties it off, and then continues to go out and attach to the buckles? If that is the case then I can see how it controls sag.

Those that don't have RL in their hammocks how do you control sag or set your hammock up. I mean if you do with out it, what is the point of it.

How is it adjusted, do I have to undo my gather and re-tie it. If that is the case then I am not touching it. There is some fancy tying going on in my hammock and I don't even want to mess with it. I am not a knot tier in any way shape or form.

How does it control the sag/real purpose of development, I mean the technical jargon of things. What makes it tick, lets get down and dirty and techno tardy on this one.

OK I think I have rambled on enough. Now your all's turn.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    The ridgeline can be taut when you set up the hammock but can often sag once you get into the hammock, depending on how you hang your hammock.

I used to rely on the ridgeline to get the right sag to my hammock, but I guess I've figured out how to get a consistent hang without the ridgeline. I find that it can get in the way some times.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    When you find the way you like to hang your hammock, adjust the ridgeline to be just taught at that point. Then it will always be right for you!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I always thought it was there for my entertainment... I like to pluck it like a big ol bass guitar string... Such hits as 'smoke on the water" and strangle hold keep me occupied for the longest time.. Or at least til my arms go numb..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Stan - several White Stripes tunes are great on a taunt ridgeline.

On a serious note: I think your loose ridgeline is a symtom of a steep angle on your suspension. Like Mac stated, if you are comfortable with the lay of the hammock you can always shorten the ridgeline so it is taunt when you have your hammock in your sweet spot. For me when I have mine just right the ridgeline is taunt when I get in the hammock. Good luck.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    My RL is always tight. I use it to hold a pouch I sewed up and store all of my gear I want in the hammock with me. It also supports my bugnetting which is sewn into my hammock and so permanently attached. So for those two reasons, I have a RL.

Also, tree spacing will play a large part in how tight your RL will be. In my experience, the closer the two trees the less taught my RL is because I am able to get a greater angle on my suspension lines. The farther apart the trees are, the angle becomes reduced and places more tension of my RL in order to ensure the proper sag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use my ridgeline as a sort of flexible ruler. When I set up my WBBB I can assess the ridgeline and check my sag. I usually have it taut but not super tight.

The RL comes in handy in suboptimal conditions. If the only two tree you have are very far apart, then you may not be able to get the suspension high enough on the trees. The RL will be very tight but you sag will still be the same.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    As far as I can tell, and my experience is limited, the ridgeline holds up the bug net on my WBBB. I have hung in hammocks without netting, and they had no ridgeline. To me, if you did not need netting or a tarp, you would not need a ridgeline either.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    As far as I can tell, and my experience is limited, the ridgeline holds up the bug net on my WBBB. I have hung in hammocks without netting, and they had no ridgeline. To me, if you did not need netting or a tarp, you would not need a ridgeline either.
    Not entirely true. If you did not have a ridgeline and and had to hang the hammock closer to parallel because of a far distance then you hammock would be too tight to get a comfortable diagonal lay. A RL would preserve your comfortable sag.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I basically use mine to hang my stuff from. It is adjustable, so every once in a blue moon I will use it to adjust the sag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast