Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps

To Nest or not to Nest, that is the question

Well I have been doing alot of research obviously on underquilts and have decided on the JRB quilts. Here is my question though.

I have noticed alot of folks that get the Nest seem to not use the split in it and instead just push the nest to the side to get in their HH. With that in mind is the Nest a good investment with the No Sniveller as the overquilt, or should I just get two No Snivellers and use one under and one over?

I may not be the best person to answer this since I just recieved my new Nest and spent my first night in it a couple of nights ago. JRB has them on sale and, in spite of that awful green color, I couldn't resist.

A problem with underquilts I've experienced with my KAQ and I've read on this forum that others have experienced with JRB's is the "cold butt syndrome" from an air gap between the quilt and the bottom of the hammock. I think the Nest's mating to the hammock's velcro minimizes this. I'm also not of the opinion that it constitutes much of a cold spot, the down hangs below the slit and the uninsulated opening is tiny. Drafts would be more of a problem, and I didn't see this as an issue on a 29F night, I did feel some coolness from the slit once during the middle of the night as I was lying diagonally. I realized I was pushing the slit open with my right foot by pulling the slit open, merely repositioning my feet eliminated it. I should say that I used a Rock Wren sleeping bag and not a quilt. With a quilt I'd probably use a small CCF pad at the bottom of the hammock. I'm thinking the Nest with the lower CCF pad plus a smaller half quilt between the Nest and the hammock may be the way to go for colder temps.

In summation I think the Nest's velcro solves more problems than it creates.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    Well I have been doing alot of research obviously on underquilts and have decided on the JRB quilts. Here is my question though.

I have noticed alot of folks that get the Nest seem to not use the split in it and instead just push the nest to the side to get in their HH. With that in mind is the Nest a good investment with the No Sniveller as the overquilt, or should I just get two No Snivellers and use one under and one over?
    To Snivel or not to Snivel in your Nest....that is the real question.
    I'd just get both and see what combo you like best.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images

I have a Nest. If I attach the velcro to the opening depends on the temperature. If it's cool enough, I don't attach the velcro and will place it at the head end to keep it form hanging up. When it's warmer, I take advantage of the convenience and attach it. It's a little easier to get in and out, but it's really not a show stopper.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    The question I have is will the nest be colder because of the slit that I should go No Sniveller on botom instead?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The question I have is will the nest be colder because of the slit that I should go No Sniveller on botom instead?
    Some say yes. Others say no. If the Nest is closed up properly and you just push it aside when you enter/exit, then it should not be colder. The issue would be when you attach the slit to the hammock itself or you dont correctly line up the slit when entering or exiting thru the slit.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-19-2007 at 13:27.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

If you lie on the diagonal your feet aren't over the slit, they are off to the right, the slit usually falls right under my calf . Just put a sit pad over the slit.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    On a Hennessy, I think the Nest works better than the NS as an underquilt, mainly for the reasons TAK mentioned. Mating the Nest to the HH helps eliminate air gaps under my legs.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    On a Hennessy, I think the Nest works better than the NS as an underquilt, mainly for the reasons TAK mentioned. Mating the Nest to the HH helps eliminate air gaps under my legs.
    Yes, I'm tickled pink with mine. I can't wait to see what my low comfort temp is with the Nest and my Rock Wren, the two together weigh three pounds. Add a couple of Oware pads (10oz) and that should take it down pretty low. Substitute the Winter Wren into the system and I think that should be warm enough to be able to hammock on an AT thru with an early start (FEB?). If it hit ten below in the Smokies you could find a shelter, use the pads under you, get in the bag and use the Nest as a quilt over the bag.

• + New Posts