Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Sorry, Walter, I was not clear. I know where to get Epic... was more interested in what folks thing about it as an alternative to eVent.
    I have a down parka (Feathered Friends) made with Epic fabric and a rain outfit (Rab) made with Event. The eVent fabric has a stiffer hand, but is roughly the same weight as Epic. For eVent, think Gore-tex type waterproof but WAY more breathable. I can hike in the rain wearing my eVent gear and dry out my hiking clothes while hiking.

The Epic fabric is more of a DWR sort of material. Light moisture will bead up on it for a while, but will eventually soak through. If you're expecting to stay dry (or keep your insulation dry) in a drizzle, Epic (my experience) will work for about 20-30 minutes before starting to wet through.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That agrees with what the FAQ says, Beep:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nextec
    Are EPIC by Nextec® fabrics waterproof?
    EPIC by Nextec® fabrics are highly water resistant. This means they resist penetration by water under all but the most extreme conditions.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I just started using a Golite Ultralite 3 top quilt and love it. The website says the head and foot ends are Pertex. Don't know the difference btw Pertex and eVent but I do get less wetness on the quilt near my mouth from breath condensation.
    Thanks for sharing this. I really really really want to support Stormcrow and am really pushing myself to do so. However, some of the additional features (and slightly less pocket-book ouch) is really drawing me towards the Ultralite 3. Which, is why I figured I would see if he is at all able to offer this footer/header material - be it of eVENT or Pertext or whatever. It just makes logical sense to have it on there, especially for those of us who mult-use our TQ's.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm wondering why the footwear industry hasn't switched to eVENT and tossed the Gore-tex lining. Sounds like the perfect Trailrunner shoe to me. What do you guys think?
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm wondering why the footwear industry hasn't switched to eVENT and tossed the Gore-tex lining. Sounds like the perfect Trailrunner shoe to me. What do you guys think?
    There are already a few brands with eVent out there already. I've even seen some over at Sierra Trading Post (older models).

I'm interested in a pair, but I have wide feet, and fit is important to me.

Tis my understanding, eVENT *is* first generation gortex....renamed after the patent restrictions expired......I could be wrong, however.

Dewey

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Tis my understanding, eVENT *is* first generation gortex....renamed after the patent restrictions expired......I could be wrong, however.

Dewey
    I don't think that's correct. It's a different technology whose patent is (IIRC) owned ultimately by GE. I seem to recall that it was originally developed by another firm.

Here's some information from the eVent website...
    BHA Group, Inc. The brains behind the fabric.
    eVent fabrics are manufactured and marketed by the BHA Group, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Electric Company. The eVent fabrics division is a highly motivated team of industry professionals maintaining a singular focus: the design and development of uniquely venting membranes.
    During the mid nineties BHA Group, Inc. manufactured and laminated proprietary venting membranes exclusively for use in filters for industrial air pollution control applications. This product, called BHA-TEX®, is now one of the most successful industrial air filters on the market. The experience we gained through the development of BHA-TEX filters enabled us to expand our knowledge into a variety of consumer and industrial markets.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I can't find the article now, but from what I read; since the Gor-Tex patent expired, three new formats of Gor-Tex like materials have arisen. I think Patagonia is using one, then eVent, and I forgot what the third is. All three are using modern variants of the Gor-Tex type technology that couldn't be done till the patent expired. From what I read, eVent was supposed to be the better of the three.

I wish I could find that article...it's what lead me to getting an REI rain jacket rather than a Mountain Hardware (I love MH stuff and I'm skeptical of most REI stuff).
    Last edited by Lonely Raven; 10-22-2010 at 08:13.

Banned
    Images
    So Stormcrow... you going to pipe-in with any comments to my initial question or are you out on some beautiful trail this week??

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I was talking to Cedar Tree at Trail Days about eVENT. He was able to acquire a small amount to make a few Packa's. Then he found out their minimum order for eVENT was some astronomical amount (over a thousand yards). THAT will keep the small (cottage) manufacturers out of that game. It is a shame, eVENT is an awesome material.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast