Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images

The Diagonal Lie

I've been struggling with hammock comfort. I just can't seem to lie enough on the diagonal to reach the level of comfort I think I should have.

I use an ENO DoubleNest. I use whoopie slings for suspension, and have tried both the "WS larksheaded through the DN's channel" and Just Jeff's "W" whipping methods.

When I lie down, I try to force a diagonal...but the fabric on the edges just sort of dumps me back to a "sorta diagonal"--certainly nowhere near the angle that Knotty provided in this post. Giving the hammock lots of sag helps, but I'm down to something like 72" on the structural ridgeline, which seems like way too little.

I guess I need to provide pics of me in the hammock, but I can't do that easily right now (traveling by myself, and I brought the wrong tripod). I'll try to get some pics once I roll through home and get the right tripod.

In the meantime, though, could y'all provide me suggestions...maybe measurements--how long is your SRL compared to the measurement of your hammock (whipping to whipping), that sort of thing--or maybe pics of yourself lying in the hammock (side pics of how deep your bend when lying comfortably, or top pics, or whatever)?

Just trying to figure this out...my first experiences in the hammock were very comfortable, but it seems to be getting less and less so, and I'm not sure what exactly I changed. Going back to how I had it originally isn't working, nor are my various adjustments. Maybe the novelty has just worn off?
    Last edited by Cannibal; 10-21-2010 at 13:45. Reason: Family friendly
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    the guy in Knotty's pic is way further off center than I usually am. I think it is more for description than an actual measurement of how to lie. in the pic, the stick man is ~45 degrees off center. I usually go with ~30 degrees. I also have an ENO DN that has modified suspension and my RL is set to 98". I realize this post my not help you much, but I can tell you that with as much sag as you are describing and trying to lie like Knotty's pic, I wouldn't be comfortable either lol
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Same here, I don't go nearly to the extreme that some might, and there in lays the trick, we are each different and find different amounts of angle comfortable. I have slept great nearly strait in line as well. But it also depends on the hammock. Some feel better to me with little angle and some with lots of diagonal lay to them. Afraid not a lot of help either, sorry.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

This is just a hypothesis,

but I think the problem might be in the DoubleNest.

I bought one as a gift for a friend's cottage, and tried it out before delivering it. Found that it was VERY deep, and that anything other than a in-line lie was almost impossible. YMMV.

I wonder if a diagonal lie is easier in a Hennessey (of which I have personal experience) or similar hammocks (WBBB etc, which I have not tried)?

Jim

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have an ENO Dn and find it to be very comfortable on the diagnol.......I am not at 45 degrees, more along the 30 degree at most. I swapped out the stock suspension for a cinch buckle suspension from Paul and Arrowhead Equipment. All I did was remove the stock rope, feed the chainlink through the channel and then form a larkshead. I added a ridgline that measures 98". Like jsaults, I have noticed that the hammock is deep and took a little getting used to when I moved out of the Clark NX-200. Like the others, this may not help but it is what I have found!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The diagram is for emphasis. I agree with the others, 30 deg is probably typical. Sometimes even less.

I find that each hammock has a preferred diagonal, depending on sag and your weight, etc. Trying to force a different angle doesn't work. You just have to find what's natural.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Sometimes we are ill-served by all of the diagrams and numbers...they have a way of becoming HF orthodoxy. Forget all of that stuff, and play with your ENO until you find what works for you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    You could try the W whipping with out pulling the sides out. Pulled sides restrict your diagonal IMHO.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A different hammock may help. My double layer Warbonnet Traveler has a flatter lay. The sides don't come up like my Doublenest does and the material is not as stretchy either.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Ditto what everyone has said. I have a Trek Light Double and a DIY hammock I use for hammock camping. I also have a couple of indoor hammocks (Brazilian, etc.) Each hammock has a different "sweet spot" in terms of diagonal lay. Too, the "sweet spot" is different for each person that climbs in. It took some time for me to "dial-it-in" to find the best comfort on each one. And, I find I'm still fine-tuning things.

I recommend getting together with a couple HF members for a group hang or even a hammock BBQ, so you can try different rigs out.

My best to you! Let us know how this adventure progresses.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast