Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

New Mexico Trip Recommendations for April?

Hey everyone...hoping to get some advice from folks with experience in the southern New Mexico area. My best friend is coming home from Afghanistan in March and I'm heading overseas again in May...so April is a great time for a trip to the wilds!

Alamogordo, NM, is dead center between our houses but neither of us know a whole lot about the area. Can y'all suggest some trips that are within an hour or two of Alamogordo? We'll probably have 2-3 days to spend there, and we're pretty open on what kind of trip it'll be...base camp, backpacking, etc. More solitude is better than less, though.

He doesn't own a hammock but will probably try out one of mine if there are trees. If you know a great trip that doesn't have trees, I'll consider sleeping on that dirty thing we walk on (the ground).

Thanks for your help! Winning submission gets an extra 10 points on the final exam...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Jeff, I have made a half dozen TDY trips to Holloman AFB / Alamogordo area in the past two years. Alamogordo is high desert bordered by the White Sands Missile Range and also the White Sands National Monument. There is not much in the way of hang opportunities in the immediate area. However a short drive (20 miles or so) into the near by Sacramento Mountains. Will put you in the Lincoln National Forest. Which has some fine backpacking / camping. The whole area is criss crossed with Forest service roads and trails. I was fortunate enough to break way for a couple of weekend hangs in the area around the town of Cloudcroft. Which has an elevation of of 8500 to 8600 feet. At the times you are looking at it can and most probably still be pretty cold. But that should not present much of a problem for you.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info, Poppabear...we'll definitely look into that area. I didn't realize it was that high in elevation, but I'm good with it. It'll just make me look more studly on the uphills than my near-sea-level buddy... And the cold isn't a problem after Colorado winters!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just Jeff,

I live in the Sacramento Mtns. near Ruidoso, NM. The drive out of Alamo is more like 45 minutes. Plenty of options for solitude. Let me know which you prefer base camp or backpacking and I can detail some options in Lincoln National Forest or better yet within the White Mountain Wilderness where elevations range from 6500 - 10,000ft. The Crest Trail runs about 21 miles with plenty of trees to hang if you drop a few hundred feet off the crest. Several 10-15 mile loop trails with some having access to water for most of the hike, others have spring access.
    Average temps in April 25- 60*, with less than an inch of precip. (Doesn't mean you won't get a foot of snow in April, though!)
    Let me know what you need to hang, I have spares that you are welcome to use.
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Images
    Jeff,

There are some great places 10 to 15 mins outside of Alamo. One place I favor is in the High Rolls/Cloudcroft area. West Side road has plenty of places where you can camp overlooking the basin and White Sands. I can send you more info if you like.
    Tim

• + New Posts