Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polyester Microfiber Ripstop

Here's a source for the elusive ripstop polyester.

http://www.peakfabrics.com/fabric_it...=shell_fabrics

It's also microfiber so it should be comfortable against skin. I've never bought this so I don't know it's weight or anything. Just thought I'd pass along the info, having read some people were looking for it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    A couple of years ago I got some Versatec (sp?) from Quest Outfitters. I think it may have been about 2 oz/yd. I made a hammock from it, but a tiny tear started next to one of my tie-out points. I tried to get in it for one more test before fixing it, and the tiny tear became a big rip very fast. I cut it up and made a wind shell from the fabric, and it has worn very well. Note that this was an experimental design, and the "tie-out point" was actually part of the main end support system, and there was a lot of tension on it. Also, this fabric is not ripstop.

I found a scrap of it this morning and cut it to exactly 16" x 20". It weighs 14 gm., so the 2 oz/yd figure is probably correct.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I wonder if it is like what Rockywoods used to carry.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I sent them an email:
    Hi,
    A link to your Versatek fabric was posted on Hammockforums.net, so you may be getting inquiries from hammock-makers, such as myself.
    It's described as having a "ripstop texture." Is this the same as regular ripstop? That is, does the grid of threads give actual strength?
    Also, what is the weight per sq. yd. (or sq. meter) of this fabric?

Thanks. I'll post your reply on Hammockforums, which may save you answering multiple inquiring emails.
    Got this reply:
    Our Versatek ripstop is actually a shell fabric. It is very light weight and is for jackets and such. It would not be strong enough for hammocks. We are able to bring in all kinds of fabrics that we don’t have in stock, so we may be able to locate suitable fabric. The person who does the ordering is on vacation. She will be back in the office on November 1. If you are interested in having her source this fabric for you, please send an email or call after November 1st. Thank you for your interest in our business.

Thanks, Leabeth
    So I replied:
    Leabeth,
    Thanks for the quick reply. We have hammockforum members and vendors making hammocks out of nylon ripstop fabrics as light as 1.3 oz per sq. yd. (30 denier) Some fabrics this light are said to have less stretch than others, which is desirable. A few people have been able to locate polyester ripstop in this weight. That is what we are seeking now. I will call after Nov. 1st, as you suggest.
    David

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I like your reply.

I bought some nylon and polyester taffeta fabrics (several different types) last week. The lightest feels heavier than my 1.9 silnylon. I wish I had a scale to weigh it. Anyhow, it all seems relatively heavy to me. However, the ladies at Hancock Fabric thought I was crazy for thinking that such a LIGHT fabric could possibly work for a hammock. In fact, one was so disturbed by my plan to use the fabric for hammocks that she walked away in protest.

I'm new at this, but already taking statements like "that fabric is too light for a hammock" with a very large grain of salt, unless it comes from an experienced hammock maker.

I would speculate that most jacket shell material that I've seen is heavier than the standard fabrics used by HF members.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    RE: Light fabrics:

I'm 220lbs and use a SINGLE 1.1oz nylon ripstop hammock. I've slept in it nearly a dozen times now...

My first hammock is a Beyer of Maine Parachute hammock. I'm still surprised that this ultra-light hammock holds my great bulk... It's nylon, but not ripstop, and feels thinner than my 1.1, though it's less slippery.

My "next" hammock will likely be a 1.1 double or a single of something heavier. I might get the bridge bug, though... It takes me a bit to get to sleep in my gathered end hammock, as I'm normally a side-sleeper... I'm on my back in the hammock...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

WV,
    Did you get a response to your request for rs poly? I have been thinking of making a new bridge

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    WV,
    Did you get a response to your request for rs poly? I have been thinking of making a new bridge
    Yes, I called Monday and explained what we were looking for. The buyer said she would get out her books and start looking. I asked for ripstop polyester in the 30 to 70 denier range (up to 1.9 oz/ sq. yd.) I said the right fabric might generate enough interest for a group buy of 100 yds. or so. Haven't heard back yet.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Yes, I called Monday and explained what we were looking for. The buyer said she would get out her books and start looking. I asked for ripstop polyester in the 30 to 70 denier range (up to 1.9 oz/ sq. yd.) I said the right fabric might generate enough interest for a group buy of 100 yds. or so. Haven't heard back yet.
    Well I for one would definitely be up to buying a few yards if this works out. Thanks for taking the time to research this!!!
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know enough at this point to say anything definitive. But I might go easy on microfiber until I found out about the manufacturing. In general the longer the "staple" (or thread fibers) the stronger the fabric. Microfiber has a napped finish which is very comfortable and soft. But whether it would have the strength of long staple nylon/polyester is questionable in my mind. It is fabulous for blankets and clothing but I am not sure what the weight limits would be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast