Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sounds like discounted learning curve quilts are in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Paul.........I like atleast a base layer and socks!!!!! I have been colder and spent more time warming up when I have to put clothes on to answer the call than when I already have them on and answer the call. I feel colder in other words, I may not be but it just seems that way.
    Last edited by bigbamaguy; 10-22-2010 at 13:43. Reason: spelling corrections!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Well not so much quilts, $$$ those add up to fast But there is going to be some B and C and maybe what I would call a D/F/G grade gear available somewhere in the near future.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I have to agree with Paul.........I like atleast a base layer and socks!!!!! I have been colder and spent more time warming up when I have to put clothes on to answer the call than when I already have them on and answer the call. I feel colder in other words, I may not be but it just seems that way.
    Ah, the always handy screw top Gatoraid jug cuts right through all that. Always check that jug of camp lemonaid before sneaking a swig.

I'll keep an eye out for upgraded insulation as the research continues Paul. Seems I read that the IX rolls and your 's compresses. For now it will be the blue pad and SB, until things warm up a bit. Too much recent Titanium installed in this beat up body for real cold camps right now and that gives me all Winter to get ready.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    How cold are you planning to go? The regular 3S---6oz Climashield will take most to the mid 30's and some have gone into the 20's.

The 6+2.5 should get you to the 20's same ball park for the 9 Either of those options should be doable very soon. Other combos will take a little bit more time.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    An honest comfortable 20 to 30 degrees...I don't just want to survive, I want to LIVE! A too warm rig can be made to work easier than a too cold one. Plus what I work up for my rig will be tried by Mrs Law Dawg to see if this camp style fits her too so it must be warm & comfy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Not to hijack this post, but what skill level is required to put the KAQ kit together? I was planning on borrowing my mom's sewing machine and giving this a go. I have an old sleeping bag that I was going to cut up and try first, but I am afraid it won't get me down to the temps I need in the winter. I have used a sewing machine before to make small stuff sacks, some face masks out of polar fleece for hunting, etc. and I can sew buttons on and stuff. Is the KAQ kit really hard to do, especially if I don't get will fancy with darts and stuff and keep it fairly rectangle shaped?
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The 6+2.5 should get you to the 20's same ball park for the 9 Either of those options should be doable very soon. Other combos will take a little bit more time.
    Thanks Paul. I'll be watching your site etc and probably will be making a decision before Spring (if I can wait that long). I'm still thinking about the LR NR set up though, just a number of very useful combos with the dual set up (plus I stealth two UQs past the Warden). You might otta consider a package deal for those of us who vehicle (read; motorcycle) camp and don't fret about ounces as much as bulk.

Frankly I am surprised KAQ seems to be the only show in town for compressable synthetic UQs (especially in full length)...good on you for seeing a need/want and filling the gap. I really wonder why there are not more offerings in the newer PrimaLoft insulation or is there really no need with Climashield?

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I went down to 14° with a LR plus pads. They will keep you warm. Paul makes great stuff
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=lost+river
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Good to know optimator and thanks for the link to your report;

The second night it hit 14. It was FREAKING cold! using the same gear I used the first night, I was fine till I woke up when nature called. I was still warm where the UQ covered me, but my legs were cold. I brought along a piece of CCF to use under my legs if needed.
    This is exactly why I am thinking NR (with the possibility of an added LR) so no CCF pads will be needed. Everything will stuff small and fit in my side cases...titanium knees mean moto travel (dirt roads) replaces backpacking.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...about a 5-10 degree temp boost with a layer of IX outside the climashield...
    I've gotten far better results from nesting IX. I wonder if it works better if it is not sewn onto the UQ that it is supplementing?

...but a 25-40% reduction in compressibility of the quilts.
    As someone else pointed out, they both pack better if they are packed separately.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast