WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I find my traveler just as comfortable as my blackbird. You could get a traveler and bugnet and be as comfortable as in BB but then you do not have the shelf. The up side is you can use the traveler without the bugnet for dayhiking or picnicing in bugfree weather.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My wife is 5ft2" but weights a bit more and has the 1.0 double and loves it. She uses a blue wally world pad in hers and says she stays very warm. I thinks she likes the extra room and I know on one night she ended back wards in her hammock. She has told me that it very comfortable.

Some of the many things I like about the BB is that it is roomy and the bug net is built in and it has a shelf. I am willing to trade a little weight for a good night sleep. A bug net is necessary here along the NC coast because of the skeeters. I just came back in from setting mine up in the back yard for a test sleep with a sleeping bag and blue pad combo I have not used before and even the dogs did not want to stay outside due to the skeeters.

If you decide you do not like the BB you will not have any trouble selling it as most of them offered for sale on the forum sell in just a few hours.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I'm confused in the replies to original poster. I have the Traveler (two of them, actually) and they are ginormous! I also have the WBBB 1.0 dbl, and it's slightly smaller, I think. I think the Traveler, which is a wonderful hammock, is between the size of an ENO SN and DN--and I enjoy it's size (I'm 5'8" 170 lbs), which is really relaxing and lets me move around in it. But, anyone your size will be swimming in it. The Traveler is large.

That said, I vote that you get the 1.0 dbl. You are worried about extra carrying weight? Is it really very much? I mean, its' one more layer of 1.0 ultrathin ripstop. The ridgeline and suspension and all are the same. And poster above said their 100lb dtr uses it fine. And we cannot discount the fact that you get two layers of ripstop, which aids in tears and such (i.e. if one tears during a campout, you can still use it without falling through). And the double is superb for the pad, as you mentioned. The Traveler is not. It'll squirt out from under you faster than an oiled pig in a hog catching contest at the county fair.

My vote if your intention is camping and pad (so some chilly nights) is the WBBB1.0 DBL. So I agree with Gunner and the majority above. And I own both BB and Trav.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 10-23-2010 at 16:37.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    I am under 5' and have a 1.0dbl Blackbird ( coyote, love the bronze color ).

We also had questions in picking which model, when we were going from one single, one double ENO no net to Blackbird (here double is width size ).

Went with double layer Blackbird simply because I knew I needed a net when I hike the AT.
    Also expected my husband would want one if he slept in mine a few nights when we vanCamp.
    Therefore got the double layer so it would be strong enough for his tall, over 6' body.
    He did love it and now has his own, but he does not go backpacking.

We use underquilts and don't need the double layer, YET :

Benefits : in the summer put a layer of insultex inside the layers and it good for warm weather. Expect to use a thin layer of packing foam ( the thin wrap on TVs and such ) as extra with UQs in deep winter.

The shelf is great.

The best benefit is you can put the backpack inside the footbox and still have plenty of room.

Also now that it is colder : the ridgeline and bugnet become the form that I drape over and attach to the duel purpose ripstop layer of the summer UQ as a wind / weather shield topcover.
    Last edited by G...Hawk; 10-24-2010 at 14:18.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    5'4", 128# and my feet reach the footbox. Use the 1.1 sl BB and 1.1 sl Traveller. Very similar lay. Traveller has a bit of material flopping around around the foot and head ends. With the BB tie outs staked it has a very generous inside space plus you get the shelf area for storage. I find adjusting the uq (Yetis) for venting & repositioning bit easier when laying in the Traveller. Like you being a small person end up carrying some extra tq. Flip side is the option to lay at a more extreme diagonal if desired, relatively more roomy hammock and greater head clearance under the tarp. Also, a 2/3 uq like the Yeti will provide more coverage. I don't use a footpad unless the temps are going to drop down into the 40*F or colder.

The 1.1 Traveller with net and 1.1 WBBB end are similar in weight.
    You can cut a few grams off the total mass by replacing the stock Amsteel suspension lines with DynaGlide WS, exchange the BB shock cord tie outs with a shorter 1/8" shock cord spliced to a length of DynaGlide.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    More fabric than you need, but the trade off :
    extra room for your backpack; the shelf for items you may need in the night ( hat, jacket ) and ridgeline to hang items from ( led-light, glasses, watch, flashlight ) is a good exchange of weight / bulk for convenience.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The double is supposed to help prevent skeeters from biting through a single layer. Wish that was my excuse but truth is I'm just too fat for a single layer. The WBBB dbl 1.7 material struck me as flimsy and too fragile...until I set it up and laid in it. This is a stout piece of gear for not much weight!

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I went with the Dbl specifically for bug protection. I knew I was going to get a UQ, but the nights when I don't need one are also the nights with the bugs out.

-jeff

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've not had my 1.0double that long but I've already camped out in it for 3 weekends (2 weekends in the backyard). I'm 5'. I got the double mainly because I normally camp in coastal North Carolina conditions (translate that to mean hot, humid, bugs and skeeters). I wanted to be able to not have anything under me so needed the double layer to prevent skeeters from biteing me. I've also found that I'm way to short for my feet to reach the foot box. I've been putting my top quilt in that area and just pulling it over me during the night, as I needed it. I also own several other hammocks and wondered how I'd use the BB shelf. Well, I love it. I wish my other hammocks now had a shelf. My clark has pockets and I've found that I put just about the same items in my Clark pockets as in the BB shelf but the pockets are on the outside and I need to unzip the netting to get to the stuff.
    The extra space at my feet hasn't effected me one way or the other. I might try the idea of putting my backpack there, especially if it's raining and I don't want it getting wet.
    I've found that I like the extra room inside the hammock, plus I can shift more (or less) off the center as I like, to get comfortable.
    For me it was worth it to get the double with bug netting for the conditions that I normally camp in.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    My nine year old son loves my WBBB. I don't think size will be an issue here. You will have no chance of shoulder squeeze and even some room to keep your clothes or pack in the hammock with you. No worries. As to the Dbl--of course you can use pads in a single as well, but the reason I got the dbl was the added bug resistance. It may not be a big issue for your hiking, but for me the main advantage is that buggies have a hard time nailing you through two layers as the weaves don't line up right. The weight add was not that much (essential here in Fla though) but if you ever end up camped out in more tropical climes, you will be very glad for the dbl.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12