Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images

New SPeers winter tarp came in today

Man, talk about fast shipping. I got my new Speers Winter Tarp in and all I can say is I LOVE IT!!! I was very impressed by the package, it was very professional looking. But I like even more was the color. I'm new to the hammack stuff so bare with me. I've read where some have questioned the silver or white color in the pics. Its actually a dark grey with the orange tabs and it looks awesome!!! I also got the Kit with the ropes and storage bag which is also very nice. Got the Hammock camping book for free which was a very nice touch. I haven't had a chance to hang it yet but just looking at it I'm going to love it.

Just thought I'd post my first impressions of it since I was actually going to make one but really thought about what was involved..lol I'm glad I just baught it. Well worth what I paid.

Reeper

got mine today also..fast shipping esp. since the PO was closed yesterday and it shipped Friday

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I also got mine today. It a really nice tarp. Big. Really big.

I have a question for you new Winter Tarp owners (congrats you lucky fellows ) The website says that the tarp is seam sealed but I'm not really seeing any type of sealer on the ridge line seam; the one most likely to get me wet. I had planned on using this weekend at the RRG. They are not calling for rain so it would be just me luck. Maybe Ed is using something that not as obvious as my seam sealing jobs with diluted silicone.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

I have a question for you new Winter Tarp owners (congrats you lucky fellows ) The website says that the tarp is seam sealed but I'm not really seeing any type of sealer on the ridge line seam; the one most likely to get me wet. I had planned on using this weekend at the RRG. They are not calling for rain so it would be just me luck. Maybe Ed is using something that not as obvious as my seam sealing jobs with diluted silicone.
    the thinned silicon seam sealer is much harder to see than the seam sealer we used to use. but you probably already knew that.
    you never know, it could been missed.
    since you have a trip coming up, i'd call ed tonight & ask.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

Shower test maybe?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper View Post
    Man, talk about fast shipping. I got my new Speers Winter Tarp in and all I can say is I LOVE IT!!! I was very impressed by the package, it was very professional looking. But I like even more was the color. I'm new to the hammack stuff so bare with me. I've read where some have questioned the silver or white color in the pics. Its actually a dark grey with the orange tabs and it looks awesome!!! I also got the Kit with the ropes and storage bag which is also very nice. Got the Hammock camping book for free which was a very nice touch. I haven't had a chance to hang it yet but just looking at it I'm going to love it.

Just thought I'd post my first impressions of it since I was actually going to make one but really thought about what was involved..lol I'm glad I just baught it. Well worth what I paid.

Reeper
    Welcome Reeper,

That is a nice tarp you just got. I'm waiting on a JRB 11x10 cat tarp I have ordered. What kind of hammock you got to go with it? What part of Georgia are you from?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    the thinned silicon seam sealer is much harder to see than the seam sealer we used to use. but you probably already knew that.
    you never know, it could been missed.
    since you have a trip coming up, i'd call ed tonight & ask.

I sent him an email earlier this evening. I really hope it's sealed because I don't know if I will have time before the outing. I have looked closely at the ridge seam but I don't see anything.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm4 / Montbell
    Images
    Well, I've used a Single ENO Nest a few time car camping and really like it so I got a Double ENO Nest to start Hammock camping while backpaking/hiking. This new Grey tarp is going to look killer with my orange and grey hamock I live in Temple, GA west of Atlanta. I can see I'm about to get hooked on Hammock camping real quick...... But still have a lot to learn.

I would call and ask Ed to make sure on the seam seal. He was a super nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Welcome Reeper,

That is a nice tarp you just got. I'm waiting on a JRB 11x10 cat tarp I have ordered. What kind of hammock you got to go with it? What part of Georgia are you from?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ed's site says that the seam sealer dries clear. But, to be on the safe side, I'd ask Ed to be sure. He's the first to tell what he knows, gotta like the guy! BTW, congrats to you lucky dogs who got a Speer Winter Tarp, that is one killer piece of gear. It definitely got a LOT of looks at the September hangout.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I just got this email from Ed:

Jason, glad your WinterTarp arrived ok. It has been sealed with liquid silicone—dries clear. This seal should be retreated once a year—use silicone spray (WalMart--~$4.00). For a better or more permanent seal--use any silicone-based seam sealant. Your homemade version should work well….Ed
    So Ed is using a spray silicone instead of diluted silicone sealer I normally use. Good to know.

I strung up my DIY cat cut tarp in a bedroom last night to check it over before letting Hooch use it for this weekends campout. After that I hung the SWT (Speer Winter Tarp) to add the guy lines. Did I mention this tarp is big? Can't wait to use it this weekend.

Also, as others have mentioned, the silnylon on this tarp is a darker gray than the pictures I have seen. That's nice.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast